Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do you recognize this virus?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:25 AM

I have Windows 7 Ultimate. Right now, I've got Norton Antivirus running, but I worry it might not catch the problem. I want to manually find this problem and remove it.

This is the fourth time in a row my keyboard has gone on the fritz almost immediately after purchasing it or getting it replaced via store warranty. I'm starting to wonder if the problem isn't my keyboard, but rather, a virus.

For example, the past three times I had this problem this summer, it was certains buttons not working anymore. Random buttons just didn't do anything. I'm having that problem now (right now, it's the "2" key, although the 2 key over on the keypad on the right side still works).  However, I'm also having a different problem.

Every time I press the "b" key, it pulls up Windows Media Player and my desktop switches to that. I have to close it down EVERY SINGLE TIME I press that key!

Second, the "ctrl" buttons do something different, and it's different for each application I'm using. For Firefox, pressing the "ctrl" keys will cycle through multiple tabs if there are any multiple tabs to cycle through (although if I don't have any extra tabs, holding down the ctrl key while I'm clicking on a link does allow me to launch a new tab; so at least that function hasn't been taken out).

Does this sound like the MO of a virus you recognize? If so, how do I find this virus manually and remove it?

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 750ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:54 AM

Hi stebbinsd :)

This doesn't look like a virus to me, it looks like your Windows and/or Ctrl key (either one) is stuck, which means that everytime you press another key, if there's a combination of that key that exists with Windows/Ctrl, it'll trigger it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users