Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Heelp

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 cmeans37

cmeans37

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:45 PM

I unplugged the plugs from the powersource (p2, p3, p4, and p5) in a compaq presario s5000cl. Can anyone show me a picture or something so that i can plug them back in correctly. When i plug in the computer it makes a siren like noise and the fan on the prossesor cuts on then off two times and makes the siren noise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:14 PM

I think I've had this problem before.... First, What Motherboard do you have?

If you cant tell, then download Everest

After your finished DL/Installing it. Open it up, go to Motherboard/Motherborad then, give the motherborad name. It should be under Motherboard Properties.

Alternatively, you could read the manual, if you have one.

#3 cmeans37

cmeans37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:23 PM

im cant find it in the manual and i have a computer from school that i borrowed and it doesnt let me download anything.. all i need to know is what chords from the psu go.. p2 p3 p4 and p5.. i know where the other ones go its just that all these plugs look the same. I also know that 2 of the plugs dont go to anything they werent plugged in when i opened it

#4 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:53 PM

are these the cords running from the power switch to the motherboard?

#5 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

All those plugs will only go in one way and one place - there is a 4 point plug (in a square shape) - that will powr the CPU and there is a plug next to it for that on the mother board.

There is also a 20 or 24 plug power cord (2 rows of 10 or 12) to power you motherboard. There is only one spot for that.

The rest are either molex (4 in line) to power IDE Hard Drives, Optical Drives (CD/DVD) and extra fans. There is also FDD power (a small plug) to power your floppy drive or any internal USB drives.

If you computer is new and uses SATA HDD's, then there will also be SATA power cables (L shaped) to power those.

The other thing to check is make sure that the CPU fan is plugged in correctly. There will be a small plug for that right next to the CPU....

Let us know how you go!

:thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#6 cmeans37

cmeans37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:48 PM

yea thats exactlly what im on.. i have all the plugs in exept there are four plugs left the ones with 4 in a row but there is only two places to put them.. they all look the same and they have a number on each one of them. they are p2, p3, p4, and p5

#7 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:52 PM

what he said!!

there should be a "terminal" down in the corner farthest from the CPU. u may need a flashlight or something.

they should be labeled p2, p3 (may need magnification.) etc....

#8 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:03 PM

So you are saying that you have 4 plugs coming from the power supply, but only two plug holes to put them in? If so, that is normal - make sure they are plugged in (if you require those particular devices) and the 2 remaining power cables can remain disconnected. My last PC had 5 spare molex (4 in line) plugs.

Let me know if that is right...
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#9 cmeans37

cmeans37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:12 PM

yea.. its still making a siren noise.. it tries to boot up then shuts down and starts the noise

#10 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:15 PM

Okay, well thats not good. We need to identify what the beep code means. For this you need firstly to determine what type of BIOS your PC has.
At the start up screen (after you press the power) does it come up with a logo, or BIOS readout such as mem test, Master and slave drives etc?

Also, can you access your BIOS? (varies between PCs, might be pressing F1, F12, Delete)
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#11 cmeans37

cmeans37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:21 PM

well i cant turn on the computer.. the fans cut on and everything when i plug in the plug to the psu... then it makes the noise

Edited by cmeans37, 17 August 2006 - 07:34 PM.

#12 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:36 PM

Sorry, I'm a bit slow here! You are going to need to step me through what is going on.

I figure that you pulled everything out and then put it all back in, and when you turned it on it beeped and the CPU fan turned off, then on, then off, and then it beeps again.

I also assume that as soon as you plug the power into the back of the PC (with the wall plug turned on) it comes on straight away - but is there any output to the monitor, or does it do nothing but the aforementioned sequence?

Also, why did you disconnect the power? Was it to make a modification/add new hard ware? If so, what did you do/change?

Don't stress either, these things always get sorted out, but we just need to slow down a bit.
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#13 cmeans37

cmeans37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:58 PM

okay.. i opened up my computer to put in a video card.. and it was really dusty in there so i took the power source to clean the computer inside and when i unplugged the chords coming from the psu labled with a p and a number and i forgot to write down where they were at first when i took them out and now it wont start up.. sorry about being so confusing.. i appreciate your patience

Edited by cmeans37, 17 August 2006 - 07:59 PM.

#14 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:58 PM

Okay cool. It doesnt matter which number goes into which device. I initially thought the same, but it doesn't actually matter. You will find that all after market PSUs aren't numbered - it is usually only brand name PC's that do it (ie. HP, Compaq, Dell etc) because of the production line.

Okay - what type of video card is it, and what is the rating of your PSU? I need to know (for the PSU) the wattage, and the AMPs. There should be a panel on the side of the PSU.....

A possible problem may be that your MoBo and CPU are not getting enough power because of a power hungry Video Card. If you are keen, take out the video card and try booting up again (with all the other components connected) as I am guessing that you used to have on-board video...see if that works... :thumbsup:
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#15 cmeans37

cmeans37
  • Topic Starter

• Members