Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Error Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rickgburton

rickgburton

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:30 AM

I'm using the Windows Live Mail app in Windows 7 Home. I have Windows live Essentials 2012 installed. My live.com accound works fine and is my default email account. My gmail.com also works OK in the app. My hotmail.com account does not. When I open the WLM app I get:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Hotmail account.

Server Error: 3219
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x8DE00005

I looked at alot of links on how to fix this and thought I found it here:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/wiki/livemail-email/windows-live-mail-and-outlook-mail/6edb5ba6-f9f2-40fd-80a1-fc23cc6fbfe0 Except, I'm not using anything that says Outlook or outlook.com. Now I'm more confused than when I started this journey. Can someone help me fix this? I just want it to work in the WLM app. I don't care about the calendar or contacts for the hotmail.com account because I have them in the live.com account. If someone can give me easy to follow steps I would really appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Rick 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:07 AM

Hotmail was bought by Microsoft. Microsoft renamed Hotmail to Outlook.com and have been slowly moving users over to the servers. You can still use your hotmail email address, just need to get the email in a different way from different servers. Old way was DeltaSync and new way is IMAP. Because they changed both the server names and the mail type, you can't change settings of the current Hotmail profile in WLM. Instead you need to create a new profile and then disable the old so you still have access.

Was there somewhere you were getting stuck with the "Adding IMAP account" instructions in the link you provided? Or did you think the instructions weren't relevant because of the Hotmail>Outlook name change? 

#3 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:29 AM

Or did you think the instructions weren't relevant because of the Hotmail>Outlook name change? 

Exactly. In the sample WLM error window it says can't send or receive from the outlook account and step 4 says for the incoming server address enter imap-mail.outlook.com and change the port to 993. I can't send or receive from the hotmail account. Do I still enter imap-mail.outlook.com and change the port to 993. for the incoming server address even if it's hotmail?

OK The light bulb over my head just turned on. Step 2: Enter your email address, password and display name for outgoing messages. Instead of myemail@hotmail.com I enter myemail@outlook.com, correct?

Edited by rickgburton, 28 August 2016 - 10:46 AM.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:26 AM

"Do I still enter imap-mail.outlook.com and change the port to 993"

Only if your account has been transitioned over. Have you logged in and checked the background color of the "Outlook" logo in the top left? If black/navy then yes. Note: You aren't "changing" anything. You can't change the settings of your current WLM profile. You have to create a new one as if it was a new email provider, because in essence, they are. 

"Instead of myemail@hotmail.com I enter myemail@outlook.com, correct?"

Incorrect. AFAIK you use the same email and password as you do for hotmail. New users to Outlook.com need to create outlook.com email address, but the older hotmail.com email address are still grandfathered in. The difference now is how you are accessing that hotmail account. See here  for a complete break down for explanation. It is natural to be confused, the whole thing is FUBAR.  :hysterical: 

Since you have other email providers, have you thought of forwarding the hotmail email to another account? Maybe put a forward and message rule telling people your "new" gmail/other email just so you don't have to deal with Microsoft anymore. See here for instructions. I have a feeling this is going to get even worst as Microsoft transfers from IMAP back to exchange support once all hotmail users have been integrated into Microsoft servers.

Edited by Trikein, 28 August 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#5 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:50 PM

The light bulb just burned out...lol  Here's where I'm lost. I'm using Windows 7 and don't plan to update to Windows 10. I tried it, didn't like it and went back to Windows 7. I use the WLM app on my taskbar. When I open it, on the left side folder pane I have my email accounts. My original email address from when I had Windows Media Center OS was @msn.com. I'm not very computer savy and that account had so much junk emails I created @live.com and stopped using the @msn.com until the only email that came to that account was an occasional piece of junk mail. About a month ago I deleted the msn.com account. When I created the live.com I also created a hotmail.com account for my appliance repair business and added it to my invoices and business cards. So back to the Windows live mail app and the email accounts. On the left side pane I have:

**********@live.com

**********@hotmail.com

**********@applianceblog.com

**********@gmail.com

All my email comes in to the WLM app and I haven't signed out of any of those accounts for probably the last 10 years. I was having all my emails (except for the applianceblog account) forwarded to my live.com account. When I started getting notices from microsoft about email changes I stopped having them forwarded to my live.com account so I now need to click on each one to get the emails for that account. The only one I get the error message, can't send or receive, is the hotmail account for ricksappliancerepair, I'm not having any problems with any of the other email accounts. What do I need to do so I can keep everything the way it is and just fix the hotmail problem? I'm am old guy with questionable eyesight and like I said, I'm not very computer smart. Yesterday I spent more than 4 hours trying to figure this out before I gave up and came here. If you can walk me through the steps I need to take to fix this You'll have free appliance repair advice for the rest of your life (or mine). I appreciate you taking the time to go this far with me. I hope I'm not being to frustrating for you. Thanks again

Rick

Edited by rickgburton, 29 August 2016 - 01:13 AM.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:12 PM

Lets back it up a bit. You are only having problems with the hotmail account so lets troubleshoot that first. Have you tried using these instructions with email address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com and password?

Set up a new IMAP account

1. When viewing your message list, press Ctrl-Shift-T to start the Add your email accounts wizard.
  2. Enter your email address, password and display name for outgoing messages.
  3. Select Manually configure server settings and click Next.
  4. For the incoming server, select IMAP from the dropdown.
    For the incoming server address, enter imap-mail.outlook.com and change the port number to 993.
    Select Requires a secure connection (SSL).
    For Authenticate using, select Clear text from the dropdown.
    For Log-on username, enter the full email address.
  5. For the outgoing mail server address, enter smtp.live.com and change the port to 587.
    Select Requires a secure connection (SSL) and Requires authentication.
  6. Click Next and Finish.

After that is added, send a email from xxxxxxxx@gmail.com to xxxxxxxx@hotmail.com. If you get it, reply and see if it is received. You will still get the error since the old broken hotmail account is still enabled, which we will disable next.

Edited by Trikein, 29 August 2016 - 08:32 AM.

#7 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:02 PM

So far, so good. email sent and received, replied and received. It forwarded the message to my live.com account (I didn't turn off forwarding for the hotmail account) so I moved it back to the inbox of the new hotmail account and replied to the gmail account and received it. Before I set up the new IMAP account I deselected the "include this account when receiving mail or syncing" in properties of the old hotmail account.. The new hotmail account is listed below the old one and has (1) after it. I assume that's because it looks identical to the old. 

#8 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:10 AM

Done! Thank-you my friend for being so helpful ! All email accounts working properly and no error messages, I have two more questions for you

1 Will I eventually need to do this for my live.com account?

2 When I didn't get an email notice from bleepingcomputer when you replied to my question, I went into my profile settings. It shows my email address as being my old @msn.com which has been deleted. I tried to change it to my gmail address but it says that email address is already being used. It is, by me. I was able to change my password no problem.

If you ever have any appliance issues just shoot me an email to my ricksappliancerepair email address before you call a repair company. I'll be able to save you $$$ Thanks again.

Rick

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:29 AM

Glad to help.  :bananas:

1. I don't know to be honest. What incoming settings are you using now for the live.com account? imap-mail.outlook.com or pop3.live.com? The change that caused your problem was Microsoft no longer supporting the deltasync standard. AFAIK Live.com never used that standard. Also, hotmail.com wasn't a Microsoft domain at first, while live.com was. Microsoft big picture is to bring as many users under as small of a umbrella to make all their services feel as one.

2. That might be a question for a moderator or the bug forum here on BC. 

Have a great day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users