Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Favorite Browser Must be Replaced

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EncoMan

EncoMan

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:39 AM

I remember several years ago looking for a stable browser that would load web pages a little faster.
I found a somewhat obscure browser called K-Meleon.  With each new version it gained in popularity
because it did load web pages faster.  Sometimes, a lot faster!

When I installed the lastest version I noticed a few sites would not render properly, but most were still
ok.  Not true anymore!  Reluctantly, I must stop using K-Meleon.  I frequently visit sites and see messages
about "using a supported browser" like Google Chrome, Opera, etc.

The only feature I really want to keep is the toolbar shown in the linked image.  You can quickly toggle
JavaScript, Popups, Images, etc.  Some browsers have these options in a drop-down menu or buried so
deep it requires several mouse clicks to reach them.  I visit many technical sites where JavaScript and Images
are just not needed because they're mainly text.

http://pasteboard.co/dXMPRcBtT.jpg

Can someone recommend a "not too bloated" browser that can render any web page properly, and maybe
have a toolbar similar to K-Meleon?  (There are hundreds of tiny browsers that are simply a shell for Internet
Explorer, that's why they're so tiny.  I don't use Internet Explorer or any of the shell clones.)

Thanks guys.

Edited by hamluis, 29 August 2016 - 03:02 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:16 AM

I'm not familiar with k-meleon.  I have been comfortable with both Slimjet browser and with Firefox browser.

#3 Kawaii-Volt32

Kawaii-Volt32

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:12 AM

I'd use Pale Moon.

http://palemoon.org/

Runs on the Goanna engine, originally based on Firefox but is now its own thing. A browser that is open and works on Vista and above, as well as Linux operating systems.

I'm using it now and it is really nice, better than Firefox has ever been.

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/must-replace-favorite-browser.1177147/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users