Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendations for free PUP Scanners

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:07 PM

My info:

- Win 7x64 Home Premium OEM  - 2 pc's

- AV: Norton N360

- Anti-Malware: MBAM Pro (older version)

All's well; PC's running good. No known issues with PUP',s etc.

I've been thinking about running a periodic standalone free PUP scanner just to compare with MBAM's scanner results.

After reading some articles about best Free PUP standalone scanners, I downloaded these but haven't tried them yet:

- Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool

- HitmanPro

- AdwCleaner

I looked for an ESET PUP standalone scanner download but didn't find one; probably missed it somewhere.

What's the general consensus about these (& other) free PUP standalone tools?  Are they basically all created equal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:18 PM

List of PUP/Adware/Toolbars/Browser Hijacking Scan Tools:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:20 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner//

Twitter

Discord:inkoalawetrust#9783

Website

#4 Scoop8

Scoop8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the info :)

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

BitDefender sucks at PUPs... I would recommend all of the scanners that quietman7 posted.

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:00 PM

Hi:

You wrote:

- Anti-Malware: MBAM Pro (older version)

All's well; PC's running good. No known issues with PUP',s etc.

I've been thinking about running a periodic standalone free PUP scanner just to compare with MBAM's scanner results.

That sounds like an unfair comparison.

What is the rationale behind comparing an old, outdated version of MBAM against a current version of a different product?

There have been many security, scanning, performance and feature improvements in the nearly two and half years since MBAM Premium (corrected typo) was released (it has not been called "Pro" since version 2.x was released in March 2014).  While older (supported) versions of 2.x still get database updates, they lack many enhanced detection and scanning capabilities.  Truly old versions, such as MBAM Pro 1.75, are no longer officially supported.

If you have a valid lifetime license for MBAM Premium , you may upgrade to the current version for free.  The "best practices" method for doing so is here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x.

Having said all that, no two security products use the exact same scanning/detection methods or databases.  So, it's fine to run additional, manual, online or local "second opinion" scans from time to time.

But if you want to run some sort of informal head-to-head comparison of MBAM vs. other malware/PUP scanners, I suggest at least using the current, supported version of MBAM.

EDIT: If you want to compare manual on-demand scans, then all you need is the current version of MBAM Free.  It is available HERE.  If you do not want the default 14-day Trial version and want only MBAM Free, just un-tick that option during the setup wizard.

Cheers,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 27 August 2016 - 07:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users