Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something isnít right with Windows 10 testing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:41 PM

Last week, we learned that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update caused trouble for many webcam users. Today, it's the turn of Kindle owners to cry foul, with numerous reports that plugging a Kindle into a Windows 10 machine with the update will make the PC crash with a Blue Screen of Death.

This problem has more than a hint of the same feeling as the webcam issue: it's the kind of thing that shows up quickly when using Windows 10 on a primary system but is going to be much more obscure if you only tested the Windows Insider previews in a virtual machine or secondary system. Such systems are much less likely to be plugged in to all the many peripherals and gadgets that primary machines are. Microsoft's own advice is that the Insider previews should not be installed on your "everyday computer." That's good advice; the quality of the builds released to the Insider program is far too inconsistent to make it a good option for a machine that you depend on. But that has consequences: the Insider program is going to consistently miss this kind of hardware interaction.

Once again, this speaks to an extraordinary lack of testing on Microsoft's part. Ensuring that a cumulative update includes all the files it's supposed to and doesn't break core PowerShell functionality is basic stuff.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:07 PM

I always run all Insider Previews as my main machine.  That is the only way to test it.  I am running 14931 right now.  I have always had good luck with the previews, and everyone I know who is running Windows 10 now loves it, and is not having any issues.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

I'm not absolving Microsoft of all sins, as they have and continue to commit many [but, I hasten to add, so do most technology companies] but I don't know how anyone can, would, or should expect Microsoft to be able to test for each and every hardware configuration in existence out there.  Many people have installed Windows 10 on machines that were never certified by their manufacturers as being suitable for Windows 10 and, in most cases, this new OS is working pretty darned well.  There are millions of different peripherals of different ages connected to these machines.  The manufacturers of these peripherals often stopped producing them long before Windows 10 was even a concept and certainly have not written updated drivers.   All of these things, taken together, are going to inevitably add up to the occasional complete and utter failure of some sort.

It's one thing to complain about a machine that started out life with Windows 8 or later and the peripherals/components of that age failing and completely another when the machine in question is from the earliest Windows 7 days and doesn't necessarily fly easily (and, if you check the manufacturer's website, might very well not be rated as suitable for Windows 10 by the manufacturer).

Microsoft makes mistakes, including those of inadequate testing at times, but you are never going to be able to "acid test" any new Windows OS such that it is guaranteed to work with each and every hardware configuration on which people choose to try to install it.  That's not Microsoft's fault (or problem) either.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users