Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mystery Pop Ups

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 late_at_nine

late_at_nine

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:22 PM

Hello,

So after surviving a severe spyware attack over a month ago, my computer has been in fairly good working condition, BUT I still get pop up ads on a fairly regular basis. Many (almost all) of these ads are blocked by Windows, but whenever the system needs to block an ad it interrupts the current program in use which is becoming more and more annoying. A few of these ads are even breaking through, and I can no longer stand this mystery. Ad aware, sbybot, and microsoft Defender declare my system is clean, but ALAS they are all lying. These mystery pop ups must be stopped. I was hoping to solve this by myself, but I can't figure out what else to do, so if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.

-Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:39 PM

Hi and :thumbsup: late_at_nine
What are these pop up ads for?
What was the severe spyware attack you had?
Can you give us more details?
Have you tried Ewido Anti-Spyware? if not....
Download Ewido anti-spyware from HERE and save that file to your desktop.
  • Once you have downloaded ewido anti-spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
  • Once the setup is complete you will need to run ewido and update the definition files.
  • On the main screen select the "Update" icon then click "Start Update". The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
  • Once the update has completed select the "Scanner" icon at the top of the screen, then select the "Settings" tab.
  • Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended actions" and then select "Quarantine".
  • Under "Reports"
  • Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
  • Un-Select "Only if threats were found"
Close ewido anti-spyware

Now.... reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :

* Restart your computer
* After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
* Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
* Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter".
* Choose your usual account.

Launch Ewido-anti-spyware by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while ewido is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning process.
  • Select the "Scanner" icon at the top and then the "Scan" tab then click on "Complete System Scan"
  • Ewido will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.
  • Ewido will list any infections found on the left hand side. When the scan has finished, it should automatically set the recommended action to Quarantine--if not click on Recommended Action and set it there. Click the Apply all actions button. Ewido will display "All actions have been applied" on the right hand side.
  • Click on "Save Report", then "Save Report As". This will create a text file. Make sure you know where to find this file again (like on the Desktop).
  • Close ewido.
    Reboot back into Normal mode.
See how this goes, if you are still having problems.. come back and we'll advise you further.

Edited by Starbuck, 17 August 2006 - 05:02 PM.

BBPP6nz.png

#3 late_at_nine

late_at_nine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:47 PM

Hey Starbuck,
Thanks for the advice. It looks like Ewido took care of whatever was still hanging out on my computer. No more mystrery pop ups! I just want to say that I really appreciate what you guys do at this website. This may be the helpful site on the internet!

I'll post again if it turns out ewido didnt fully do the job. Thanks again!

#4 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:25 PM

Hi late_at_nine
Glad everything seems ok now :thumbsup:
Ewido is a good program to keep. Just update it and run it once a week, it'll keep your computer a lot cleaner.
Happy surfing
Posted Image :flowers:

BBPP6nz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users