Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not reading USB ports unless restarted

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyNightrain

JohnnyNightrain

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:52 PM

Hello all,

So, my computer is not reading my USB drives unless I have something (flash drive, keyboard, speakers, printer, etc.) plugged in and then I restart. We had a power outage during the storms this week, so I am not sure if that affected anything. If I plug in a flash drive... nothing. I have to restart and then it will read it. Also, curiously, I have a Samsung color laser printer and if I turn it on, it just stays on the warming up screen until I unplug the USB cord and then plug it back in and it's fine. Obviously, this is all a big pain, because I use this computer mainly for working purposes and I don't want to restart every time I need to print a page or transfer something to/from my flash drive. 

My computer is a refurbished HP 6000 Pro running Windows 7 64-bit.

Hopefully, this is enough info to get started... I've done all of the typical power cycling and such. All of the latest Windows updates are installed. I went back six days to a restore point. I unchecked the power saving option that lets the computer shut down the USB ports to save energy. Nothing.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:16 AM

Try doing a System Restore.  Use a restore point dated prior to the problem.

If this doesn't resolve the problem run Windows Repair (All in one).

Windows Repair (All in one)

Please download and install Windows Repair (All in one).

Notice:  This will take a long time to run, please allow for at least an hour for this to complete.  Stopping this can cause damage to the operating system. 

When you open the Windows Repair (All in one) you will see tabs labeled Steps 1. through 5.  Then Repairs and Settings.  2. through 4. are optional.

Step 1.  Do a Proper Power Reset.  This is impotant and not optional.

tweak1_zps5460eb3e.png

Step 2.  Clean Your System From Infections (Optional).  This option will run Malwarebytes Antimalware if you choose to.

tweak2_zpse9b74c2d.png

Step 3.  Check File System (Optional), this will give you the option to see if you need to run chkdsk or the option to run chkdsk.

tweak3_zps6ebd559a.png

Step 4.  System File Check (sfc /scannow), (Optional).

tweak4_zps314fabc4.png

Step 5.  Registry Backup & System Restore.  This is not optional.
Click on Backup for the Registry, then click on Create for the System Restore.

tweak5_zps1f8cef34.png

Repairs.  Click on Start

tweak6_zps104a9f0c.png

You will see an image similar to the one below, click on Start Repairs  

repairsa_zpsd14077e8.png

When the Repair has finished you will be asked if you want to restart your computer, click on Yes.

After the computer is restarted you will need to reopen Windows Repair and go to Settings

Settings.  On this page you will see Log Location, in the same section you will find Open Log Folder.  Click on Open Log Folder, this will open the log files, double click on this, then click on _Windows_Repair_Log.  Copy the log and then paste it in your topic.

tweak7_zps277d4e41.png  

Tweaks is optional, you can go to these sites and use the tweaks.

tweak8_zps7d30ed30.png

Edited by dc3, 29 August 2016 - 10:52 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JohnnyNightrain

JohnnyNightrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:19 PM

Well, that didn't work. I appreciate the suggestion. I still have to restart the computer in order for it to read the thumb drive. The printer isn't stuck on "warming up" anymore, but now I can't print... it sends the job to the printer, but it doesn't actually print.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really need to get this working for work purposes.

#4 JohnnyNightrain

JohnnyNightrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:25 PM

Also, I just tried to re-install the printer driver and the computer can't find the printer which is connected via USB, so the computer can't read USB posts, for whatever reason, unless I restart.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:57 PM

Sometimes these USB issues can be resolved by uninstalling each USB Root Hub in Device Manager  then rebooting. I would remove your printer and any USB device other than your mouse and keyboard. You may need to reinstall your printer driver.

This is for HP but you can see the steps shown for uninstalling USB Root Hubs. Create a Restore Point before doing it.

USB devices are detected by Windows but are not working properly

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01893385&sp4ts.oid=3785404

#6 JohnnyNightrain

JohnnyNightrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:20 PM

Uninstalling and reinstalling the root hubs didn't work.

Though, I did notice something... I have three USB flash drives: a Lexar, an HP and a Memorex. The Memorex drive works normally, as in when I plug it in I hear the USB noise and it goes to auto-run and it's recognized. This happens in every port.

So, what I have now is: The Lexar and HP flash drives work only if plugged in and the computer is restarted, the Memorex flash drive works normally, the computer can't read my printer (it can't even find it to re-install the driver), it will send pages to be printed, but nothing happens, my keyboard and mouse are not USB, so they work fine and my Amazon Basics speakers work properly, but they are only powered by USB.

I feel like I'm close, but still so far away from figuring this out.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:44 PM

Download USBDeview and remove any lexar or HP listings for USB flash drives. Does the lexar and HP flash drive act normally after the cleanup?

#8 JohnnyNightrain

JohnnyNightrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:08 PM

What do you mean by "remove?" There is no remove option... there's disconnect, uninstall, disable, etc.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:10 AM

I meant uninstall, sorry. Highlight the listing you wish to remove and press the red X.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:28 AM

Two things you can try.

Open the Device Manager, right click on the first icon in the device tree, then select Scan hardware for changes.  This will force a bus restart.

All of the USB Root Hubs have a Power Management tab.  Double click on the hubs one at a time, click on the Power Management tab,  remove the check in the box for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 JohnnyNightrain

JohnnyNightrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:15 PM

John_C21, that didn't work I went ahead and cleared out almost everything in the ports and nothing.

Arachibutyrophobia, those things did not work, either.

This is the most frustrating computer issue I've ever had. When I plug in the Memorex drive (after uninstalling) it immediately downloads the drivers and works just fine... but only the Memorex flash drive. None of the other ones or my printer.

I have a tentative appointment to take my computer to the shop Friday, but I'd really like to figure it out without having to take it in. This is something I needed fixed like yesterday. The guy from the shop suggested doing a complete Windows 7 re-install, but that is such a pain.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:15 PM

There is the nuclear option. Download Device Cleanup Tool with the printer detached. Delete all Non-Present Devices. Reboot.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/device-cleanup-tool-windows

#13 JohnnyNightrain

JohnnyNightrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:04 AM

What do you mean by nuclear option? Is there a chance this messes up my computer?

I'm in a bit of a bind now... I just got called for a job interview early next week, so leaving my computer at the shop is not an option, but I also can't print off the things I need for my interview. I can upload to the cloud or email to myself and print elsewhere, but if I need something last minute, I'm kinda screwed. Good times.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:15 AM

No it will not mess up your computer, I did it to mine and everything worked fine. I would advise you create a System Restore point and a System Repair Disk though. 

I am not sure what is going on with the USB ports though. Have you tried attaching the printer to a different USB port?

You can try the steps listed here to reinstall the generic Windows 7 USB drivers.

http://www.nextofwindows.com/what-to-do-when-usb-2-0-hub-driver-stops-working

#15 JohnnyNightrain

JohnnyNightrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:17 PM

I decided to bite the bullet and completely re-install Windows... nothing! And to make matters worse, the Windows Update is stuck in a never-ending loop, so I can't even install all of the latest updates. I've never been so infuriated at a computer in my life. I, literally, have to buy a new computer now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users