Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Import/Export Contacts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 needowelum

needowelum

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:07 PM

Hi,

Basically, I want to manually sync contacts back and forth, between my computer and my phone.

Going from computer to phone, the easiest way for me has been exporting/backing up the computer's .vcf file, moving it to my phone, delete my phones current contact list, and then importing the .vcf file from the computer, which instantly results in an complete, updated list.

However, going in the other direction is my problem.

If I try to do the same in reverse, trying to import the .vcf file into the computer contacts, it wants to do it one contact at a time, instead of the full list all at once.

I suppose they can be Imported/Exported thru gmail, but I would prefer doing it directly...phone contacts only, without importing gmail contacts

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:19 PM

Personally, I'd do it (and do do it) via Gmail's sync capabilities.

I also discovered something interesting that will allow you the sort of screening out that you want:  The only thing that Gmail syncs to my Android powered phone are contacts that are in the group "My Contacts."   So, if you want some subset that stays only on e-mail, create a category, say "Email Only," and assign contacts you wish to have only for e-mail to that group and that group alone, that is, not in the group "My Contacts" and "Email Only".  If there are some that you want both places then you can just leave them in the My Contacts group.

It took me forever to figure out why contacts that I had assigned to specific groups outside of "My Contacts" on Gmail were not syncing to the phone.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 needowelum

needowelum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:37 PM

Hi britechguy,

Sorry I didnt get back sooner.

I should have described my issue better, but thanks for the tip on sub categories.

Personally, I'd do it (and do do it) via Gmail's sync capabilities.

The main goal here was to see if there was a convenient way to sync my phone contacts with my windows contacts (formerly known as address book), not my gmail contacts, but my search for a solution has come up empty so far.

I can manually backup my windows contacts and easily import them into my phone contacts, but not the other way around.

I did backup my gmail contacts to a .vcf file, and was able to import it into my windows contacts, but for some reason after importing a lot of the individual profile information was missing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users