Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Build switches on for a few seconds, then off, then on...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sasp

Sasp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:46 AM

Hey guys! I have a home built computer that I recently took apart, cleaned and reinstalled. Once that was done I tried to start it back up and it switches on but quickly switches back off, then back on again, then off, etc. etc. Nothing appears on the screen from the HDMI connection

The BIOS Post codes go quickly but I can tell that it stops at 18. So I´m pretty sure it has something to do with the RAM.

My motherboard is an Asus Maximus Hero VI, I have an intel i5 4670k, my RAM is two Corsair Vengeance 4GB sticks. GPU is two Asus Geforce GTX 770 connected with an SLI bridge. Thanks a ton guys!

Edited by hamluis, 27 August 2016 - 03:00 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:55 AM

Try removing one ram stick at a time and seeing if the computer will boot. Also clear the CMOS by removing the watch-sized battery for a few seconds.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Sasp

Sasp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:29 AM

Try removing one ram stick at a time and seeing if the computer will boot. Also clear the CMOS by removing the watch-sized battery for a few seconds.

I've tried and it still happens, ive evn tried disconnecting absolutely everything but the necessary from the MOBO *disconnected RAM, GPUs etc* and it happens...

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:17 PM

Remove all components from the case and assemble and test.  Too many units that are user built suffer from misplaced stand offs, shorting the power supply.

#5 Sasp

Sasp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

Hello everyone,

I wanted to inform you that I have fixed the issue, to anyone that might face a similar problem I will post what I did though I believe my situation was rather special.

All I did was... unscrew a screw, it seems that by unscrewing the screw nearest to the RAM cards that corner of the Motherboard popped up and it just worked. Therefore it must have been that that specific screw was bending the motherboard in some weird way, preventing from its proper functioning. Thank you all for your help and recommendations! I'll be sure to use this forum for more of my issues (and respond if I see something I can though I am much too new).

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:40 PM

This issue may rear its head again.  Usually during an increased ambient temperature.  A cold solder joint would remain so, even after the board adjustment.  There may be a trace on the underside near the standoff  that's shorting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users