Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive failure? How to backup the precious?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ValentinoGuido

ValentinoGuido

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:45 AM

Greetings all,

I've got a Dell Latitude E6400 running Win7 Pro and it gets to the Windows boot manager and gives me the "status:  0xc00000e9."

Slip in Win7 DVD as it wants, select "repair computer" and it's just sitting there "searching for windows installations..."

I took it to the local computer shop and they said the hard drive is bad, no way to backup the precious content on that drive.  Isn't there somewhere that can back this up?

Thanks for any help, advice... direction..

Attached File  Computer_Problem2.jpg   129.01KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Computer_Problem3.jpg   117.53KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Computer_Problem4.jpg   126.46KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Computer_Problem6.jpg   159.12KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Computer_Problem1.jpg   140.81KB   1 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 27 August 2016 - 11:42 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:05 AM

You can either connect the drive to another computer using an enclosure or USB adapter to see if you can pull off the data. The error indicates the BIOS cannot communicate with the drive. Your best chance for recovery if the drive has not failed is to use the enclosure or adapter.

Edit: If a USB adapter or enclosure will not let you access the drive then you will need to consult a professional data recovery service which is not cheap. DriveSavers is one of the better ones.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 August 2016 - 10:11 AM.

#3 ValentinoGuido

ValentinoGuido
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:01 AM

Thank you, my new friend.  A referral of a reputable service is great, I'll see what they can do and then post back when we find out what had to be done.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:54 PM

Edit: If a USB adapter or enclosure will not let you access the drive then you will need to consult a professional data recovery service which is not cheap. DriveSavers is one of the better ones.

I agree...but keep in mind that professional data recovery services such as DriveSavers tend to be expensive. You are generally looking at hundreds of dollars with the possibility of more than a $1000. They will evaluate the drive for free and then I believe give you a quote for the cost. Just thought the original poster should be aware of the potential cost of using a service like DriveSavers.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:48 AM

I agree...but keep in mind that professional data recovery services such as DriveSavers tend to be expensive. You are generally looking at hundreds of dollars with the possibility of more than a $1000. They will evaluate the drive for free and then I believe give you a quote for the cost. Just thought the original poster should be aware of the potential cost of using a service like DriveSavers.

Thanks for pointing out the expense. I usually mention the high cost but forgot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users