Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 won't recognize my Olympus digital camera

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ledyard

Ledyard

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

My Olympus Camedia D-595 Zoom digital camera worked fine on my last computer with Vista.
In June 2016, I purchased a new Dell desktop with factory installed Windows 10.

This system  will not accept or recognize my camera. I have  tried going thru File Explorer to no avail.

The memory  card I use is  a 128 MB xD from SanDisk.  I  can't find a  card reader that is incompatible with Windows 10. 

Can anyone Help?  Thanks.

Ledyard

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 August 2016 - 09:41 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Discussion to Windows 10 Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:55 AM

I have never heard of a memory card that small so I Googled it. It seems that it would only hold one photo from my camera and only 8 photos from an old low resolution camera.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/flash_memory_cards/sandisk/xd_picture_card-128mb.html

I use Windows 10 and I have plugged in many drones and many cameras and other card readers and 100% of them are recognized. Maybe there is something wrong with your cable or connection.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:59 AM

What I suggested will not work with xD cards.
For that you can get a USB adapter the supports xD cards.
Example http://www.staples.com/Insten-1936359-USB-3-0-All-in-1-Multi-Memory-Card-Reader-for-SD-SDHC-Micro-SD-Compact-Flash-MS-MS-Pro-XD/product_1642473

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 August 2016 - 10:10 AM.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:02 AM

One of these are fantastic. It slips right into a 5 inch bay and uses SATA.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820176024

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Ledyard

Ledyard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:28 PM

Rocky Bennett:  I  bought the  camera and xD card eight  years ago from Office Depot.  The  camera itself has a memory of 40 photos.  I don't  know the capacity of the picture card but I have used it many  times to take more that a  dozen photos.

One part of my problem seems  to be that  only Olympus and Fuji Film  use  xD picture cards which  means there is  limited  demand for card readers.  I did find one xD card reader but Windows 10 didn't accept it.

The other part of my problem is that Windows 10 will not acknowledge the camera itself so  I  can't download or import the 40 photos stored in the camera's memory.

I'll keep trying card readers until I find one that works.  Or  I'll follow my  wife's advice and "Buy a new camera."

Many thanks for your interest.

Ledyard

#6 Ledyard

Ledyard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:34 PM

Queen-Evie:  thanks for your response.  I truly appreciate it.  I did  try the near-by  Office Depot but they had no card reader for  an  xD card and could not order one.

I called Olympus and was pleased  when a human being answered the phone. The call required a few transfers but I did  reach a person who told me that they  do not  have card  readers.  He also said that as  far as  he knew there was no  way to make Windows 10 recognize my  camera.

There is a  Staples about  20 miles away from my house.  I'll give them a try.

Thanks again for your advice.

Ledyard

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:59 AM

OK Ledyard, I'm sorry. Good luck with your quest and I hope that you can figure something out before you have to have to heed your wife's advice.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users