Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recently bought a new Desktop windows 10 and want preventative antivirus plan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chucksno

chucksno

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:12 AM

Morning,

My last computer was hit by a few different virus over the 4 year span of having it, now that I have a new unit, I would like to be proactive to prevent future intrusions.  I currently run Webroot (which came with the computer and expires in 6 months) but will have access to free Norton with my comcast service after that.  Does windows 10 have built in firewall/other that I should be comfortable with?  Should I run certain programs every so often (cleanup, malware bytes etc) to keep things running smooth?  In summary, I would like to know if I am properly protected and then what are best practices to prevent future issues. Thanks so much for the consideration.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:27 PM

There is always the option to just use Windows 8/10 Defender which includes anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Windows 8/10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems (and probably easier to use for the novice)...read Is Windows Defender Good Enough.

Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it typically is disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. If a trial anti-virus (i.e. McAfee, Norton, Webroot, etc) came preinstalled on your computer or you installed one, Windows Defender will be turned off (disabled). Windows Defender recognizes the install and automatically disables itself when other anti-virus products are used to avoid conflicts. Windows 8/10 Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled. In your case, that means removing Webroot, rebooting and allowing Windows Defender to start it's protection.

Although Windows 8/10 Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.
Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

Please read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools for information about trustworthy and effective anti-malware programs.

For other suggestions if you do not want to use WIndows Defender see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

In regards to Firewalls, just use Windows built-in Firewall. It will protect you as well as any paid for products without having to learn how to use and configure advanced settings. Windows Firewall runs in the background and provides automatic protection without the user having to do anything.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 chucksno

chucksno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:50 AM

thanks so much, so if I read it correctly you recommend having an anti virus and an anti-malware program running concurrently and also running other anti malware apps on an occasional basis?  thx again

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:03 AM

Yes and yes to both your questions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif