Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet access after malware removal

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Harsh1998

Harsh1998

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:30 AM

I was trying to install a software. But it contained heavy viruses. My whole laptop had been infected with malware. I ran malwarebytes to remove it but it didnt fix my laptop completely. I then used Norton Power Eraser. It found some more threats and cleared everything but now I am not able to access internet. Neither, google chrome nor internet explorer is working. Please help. It is urgent.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TeknoSquirrel

TeknoSquirrel

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:40 AM

I had this problem once, I am quite sure you go into chrome settings>advanced settings>Network/change proxy settings>connections>lan settings and uncheck the box to use a proxy server if its checked. 

#3 Harsh1998

Harsh1998
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:49 AM

I have already tried that. The box for use a proxy server is already unchecked. But still I am not able to access internet. It is driving me crazy now.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:03 AM

It's possible the malware removal broke Winsock. Open an elevated command prompt. On Windows 7 type CMD in the search box and right click Run as Administrator. On Windows 8 and later press the Windows key + X and select command prompt as administrator. Type the following commands.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot.

If that fails then download Windows Repair and only check the box next to Network Repair.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:27 AM

Another solution is to boot into safe mode and attempt a System Restore using a restore point prior to the malware infection.

Don't know which Windows OS you are using so here are directions for Win 7 and Win 10:

How to Use System Restore on Windows 7 (with Pictures)

How to Use Safe Mode to Fix Your Windows PC (and When You Should)

QUOTE: Run System Restore: If your computer was recently working fine but it’s now unstable, you can use System Restore to restore its system state to the earlier, known-good configuration. Assuming your computer is unstable and crashing, it may be possible to run System Restore without crashing from Safe Mode.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Harsh1998

Harsh1998
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

I tried what JohnC_21 said. It did not work. I even used Windows repair and did the entire process. Still no progress. Please help me. I am trying to resolve this issue from the past two days.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:25 AM

Do you have a restore point before the problem as buddy215 posted?

Edit: Does using an Ethernet cable work? What is your OS? What is the make and model of the computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 August 2016 - 10:28 AM.

#8 Harsh1998

Harsh1998
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:27 AM

I am using Windows 10. I dont know where to find the restore thing.

#9 Harsh1998

Harsh1998
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:30 AM

Regarding the ethernet cable, it does not work even with that. I am usingh an HP laptop. Model no. is G42 Notebook PC.

Edited by Harsh1998, 27 August 2016 - 10:33 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:36 AM

Are you set to get a IP address and DNS address automatically

Again, what OS are you using? What is the make and model of the computer? What about a restore point?

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 August 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#11 Harsh1998

Harsh1998
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:36 AM

The softwares that use internet are working fine. For ex- I am using Teamviewer and it is working perfectly.
Only chrome and internet explorer is not working.

#12 Harsh1998

Harsh1998
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:38 AM

I am on Windows 10. I am usingh an HP laptop. Model no. is G42 Notebook PC.
IP address and DNS server was set to automatically earlier. But I manually set them as well. After no progress, I have again set them to obtain automatically.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:44 AM

Go into IE options. Under the connections tab click Lan Settings. Is  Automatic detect settings checked? If it is then after backing up favorites reset IE. I believe you already posted that use proxy server in IE settings is unchecked, correct?

Edit: Undo the changes made by Norton Eraser and see if you have internet access.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 August 2016 - 10:49 AM.

#14 Harsh1998

Harsh1998
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:47 AM

Yes. Automatically detect setting is checked. And yeah, proxy server is unchecked.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:49 AM

See my edited post. Revert the changes made by Norton and see if you can connect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users