Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable Managment

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Xenofusionz

Xenofusionz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:53 PM

Hello, I am planning to buy a windows computer. Since I am a heavy mac user for my daily usage I do not know how to set things up. 

I am planning to buy a Hp Envy 34c Monitor: 

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-34c-34-inch-media-display

and 

Asus ROG G20CB

http://www.asus.com/Tower-PCs/ROG-G20CB-Oculus-Ready/#scroll4

I have been researching for a lot and I thought these two would be great for me. 

The question I came up to is the cable and wire setup. 

Can I setup this monitor just with a HDMI cable? 

Will This Setup Work? 

Answers are extremely appreciated.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:53 PM

Hi, Xenofusionz.

HDMI or DisplayPort will afford both HD Video connectivity and HD Audio: No need for any other cables or wires (unless one wishes to use speakers other than what is provided with the monitor).

Looks like a hellova setup... makes me envious (no pun intended).

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:49 PM

As noted, there should be no problem of that monitor working with the computer. And as noted, all you need is the included HDMI cable for picture and sound. The only other cable that would be needed is a USB cable from the computer to the monitor if you want to use the USB hub in that is in the monitor.

About the only possible issue might be games that don't like the extra widescreen resolution. From what I understand, I believe some games might not play nice with the extra widescreen format. Others might be able to better elaborate on that.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:00 PM

About the only possible issue might be games that don't like the extra widescreen resolution. From what I understand, I believe some games might not play nice with the extra widescreen format. Others might be able to better elaborate on that.

Correct. Problem with gaming on an open platform like the PC is you will run into problems like this, especially when they involve "non-standard" hardware. I expect games like Call of Duty, Heroes of the Storm, and Minecraft to have no problems with an extra wide resolution. It's the other 1,876,598 games that may cause problems.

When that happens, often the monitor will project 1920 x 1080 (1080p) stretched to fill the screen. This can be changed in the video card control panel of course, but that will not alleviate any inherent issues with extra-extra wide monitors. If the game doesn't like it the game may not run at all.

Edited by Gorbulan, 31 August 2016 - 07:00 PM.

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:03 PM

Hey Xenofusionz,

Were you planning to use the PC like a console? As in sit back on a couch or chair just like a TV? If so, that screen will be fine. Otherwise, it is a bit big for a desktop monitor. Just FYI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users