Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer quit working on Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 searchingpaths

searchingpaths

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:24 PM

I have a Kodak AIO 5300 printer which was working fine until last week.  It has now stopped printing.  When I open a screen to see what is printing nothing shows up.  When I open properties I always get a message that the printer driver is not installed, so I click to install it and always get a message that it was successful.  But when I try to print a test page the message i get is "Test page failed to print.  Would you lke to view the print troubleshooter for assistance?  Access is denied."  The troubleshooter finds no problems.  In order to print anything right now I have used the printer "Microsoft Print to PDF" printer and then taking the files to another computer and printing to a different printer.  The printer itself works when making copies or scanning documents, so communications are okay.  It just will not accept a print command from the computer. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:52 AM

I'd try downloading Windows 10 compatible driver(s) from the Kodak web site, if they're available.  Should they not be available, you might try installing Windows 8 drivers in compatibility mode.

How old is this printer?  There have been many cases in the past were some older devices don't work with new versions of Windows.  I don't know if this applies in your case, but I've had it occur with one of my Samsung laser printers.

Good luck. 

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:10 AM

What operating system do you have? Have you tried reinstalling their Home Center Software?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:21 AM

Drivers for Windows 10 available here.

http://support.en.kodak.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17138/selected/true

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:40 AM

They seem to only offer the software bundle with drivers. I can't find the drivers solo. Anyone else having better luck? Bare drivers would be better then Kodak bloatware IMO.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:47 AM

Supposedly the software gives the option to install Tools and Drivers only.

http://support.en.kodak.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31479/~/limitations-of-installing-all-in-one-printer-drivers-only/selected/true

#7 searchingpaths

searchingpaths
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

Sorry about the delay getting back but I had some young grandchildren over the weekend.  I am running Windows 10 and it is up to date.  I have been on Windows 10 since shortly after it became available and the printer was working fine.  It only stopped working in the last few weeks.  There were some Windows updates on August 12 and I thought it might be related to one of them.  but only one of them could be uninstalled and removing it made no difference.  Since reading your comments they are all related to having the latest drivers available so I have tried to get them.  When I ran the programs I had a message everything was up to date.  I uninstalled the printer and then reinstalled it.  It found the printer with no problem.  After the reinstall I had to reboot.  I still have the same issues.  In addition I have opened Printer Tools from the Kodak menu.  When I try to check on Software Updates I am told everything is up to date.  When I go to Firmware Updates it cannot find my printer.

Before the uninstall I was able to scan using the computer.  I just tried and it cannot find the scanner.  I went to the scanner and told it to scan and it was correctly sent to the Kodak software.  But when I tried to scan another page I got another connection error.  So right now I am more confused than before.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:18 PM

You can try the following but I'm not sure it will work.

Uninstall all the Kodak software in Control Panel > Remove Programs.

Open Devices and Printers. Click on the Microsoft XPS printer and in the menu bar click print server properties. Look for any Kodak drivers under the Drivers tab and remove them.

Reboot and reinstall your  drivers.

If you were delivered the Windows 10 Anniversary update at about the time the printer ceased to function it's possible the drivers no longer support the Anniversary update. You may need to purchase a new printer. 

#9 searchingpaths

searchingpaths
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:12 PM

I followed all suggestions and it still did not work.  Kodak quit manufacturing printers back in 2012.  All printers with the Kodak name are now made by Funai of Japan.  I have no idea if or when Kodak may update the drivers to work on the latest Windows 10.  I need a working printer so tonight I went to Walmart and purchased a Kodak Verite wireless printer and hope it works as well as the 5300 did. 

#10 searchingpaths

searchingpaths
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:42 PM

The new printer had the same problem, except it specifically said it was not loading the drivers.  The printer support people suggested I try to contact Microsoft directly for support. 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:19 PM

First off, I would return the printer to Walmart as you now know this is a Windows problem. If I can remember, they have a pretty good return policy.

There is an option to reset Windows 10 and keep your files but this removes all the apps and programs installed. Not a good solution.

Check  your print spooler service and see if it is started and on automatic. When you double click the service there is a dependency tab. There will be other services listed. One is RPC (Remote Procedure Call) with a + sign. Make sure PRC is started. Click the plus sign and make sure those are also started. From your first post I don't understand why you received an access denied message for the troubleshooter. 

Right click Computer > Manage > Services

See if creating a new user resolves the problem. Other than the above, I am out of ideas, sorry. 

Edit: I more thing I forgot. Right click the printer in Devices and Printers. Select Printer Properties. Under the Ports tab you should see your printer with a USB001 port. Under the Advanced tab click on Print directly to printer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 August 2016 - 03:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users