Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio devices disappear after an OS update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cem

cem

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:16 PM

Hello, 

So my latest windows trauma happened right after the last windows 8.1 64 bit based update. Although I have to admit there may be some other software installations that may have something to do with all this...

After the installation and reboot none of the drivers in 'sound, video and game controllers' were working! They were all there but they all had a yellow '?' sitting on them...
68257d1472252356-missing-corrupted-audio

(I had more drivers than what the picture said. Two of my monitors had audio so they had drivers, plus I had a couple of virtual Midi cable programs which carry audio drivers.) Plus HD Audio drivers and RME Sound card driver.

For my first attempt to trouble shooting sound problem suggested that I might be able to fix my problem by reinstalling the driver for High Definition Audio Devices.. (I presumed that this must be Realtec that came with my ASUS P9X79 WS)

So I select 'apply this fix' knowing that this can't be that easy...
The result was, HD Audio Device had a driver problem: 'NOT FIXED!' 

A further analyzing the device status came up with this:
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

So I removed the Acer, Phillips and Virtual cable drivers and I uninstalled and reinstalled these drivers: the Realtek and RME.
RME had no problem through out the installing process but had no effect on the problem what so ever...
Realtek on the other hand came up with a new error code:
Realtek HD driver could not be Installed !! Error Code: 0x000000FF
68258d1472254866t-missing-corrupted-audi
(Realtek HD Audio Driver Setup 6.0.1.7058)

So now I have no audio driver listed in my Sound Tab
I tried few stuff from googling like the error codes and no audio problems related stuff, but no dice!
68259d1472254885-missing-corrupted-audio

Should I kill myself now or a little later?

PS Google was NOT my friend what so ever... That's why I am here...

Thank you
C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:28 AM

In the Device Manager click on the Sound, video and game controllers, click on the Driver tab, uninstall the driver.  When you restart the computer a new driver will be installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:35 PM

Was it a windows KB....... update that you think caused this? In general it is best practice never to install any windows updates except the security ones, although it is important to check for new security ones every tuesday evening or wednesday morning to make sure that you stay patched against exploitable vulnerabilities. NEVER update drivers unless you have a problem with one and know that the update fixes your problem.

Edited by rp88, 27 August 2016 - 02:36 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:43 PM

@rp88

The op is seeing yellow warning icons in the Device Manager under Sound, video games and controllers.  These are not indicative of problems related to a update.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 cem

cem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:44 AM

Thank for replays..

Well everything was working fine until the update though!

I have done all that reinstalling and rebooting and stuff before coming here none helped.

Maybe I should explain what I've done so far more clearly..

I have done all the preliminary work as a lay man can do. That involved pretty much reinstalling everything except bios & OS, which is updated to their neck... I suppose....
And RME was off at all times.

The failed Realtek reinstall was part of that adventure... Incidentally I forgot to mention that Realtek HD Audio Driver despite the failed message, appear to be installed in Programs and registry but in 'Device Manager' it's a different story. First it shows there with yellow '!'. But later it disappeared. Maybe I clicked on scan for hardware changes or just I closed and reopen the Device Manager, I am not sure.

I believe the problem is in Internal High definition Audio Bus which is a Microsoft driver... Hence the Code 19 error...
That's why I can't install Realtek properly, and that's why all the other drivers stopped working! But I don't know how to get around those Windows Internal High definition Audio Bus drivers..... I did the 'Uninstall' and then 'scan for hardware changes' bit in Device Manager...

But it doesn't go away! In Device Manager/ Details tab The Problem code is '00000013' But none of the remedies I found on web helped...

Realtek not installing and with error code 19 for High Definition Audio Driver I am stuck!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:51 AM

Here is Microsoft's TechNet explanation for the error 19.

Code 19: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged.

Previous versions of Windows had an option in the Advance Boot Options called Last known good configuration.  It restored the hardware configuration in the registry control set back to the last known good configuration instead of the default.  It also restored the device drivers as well.  

Unfortunately Widnows 8/8.1 did away with this option.  In Windows 8/8.1 they have two options for repairing the registry, Reset and Refresh.

I would suggest that you do the Refresh.  There is one downside to doing a Refresh, it will uninstall any third party programs.  But it will not effect the rest of your data.

1. Open the Settings charm, tap/click on Change PC Settings.

2. Tap/click on Update and recovery, then tap/click on Recovery.

3. Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, tap/click on Get started.

Follow the instructions as they appear.

#7 cem

cem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:08 AM

I rather do a fresh OS install if I am going to loose my setup! It takes 4 to 5 days to complete my studio! So I am not really keen on that...

As far as Microsoft and their pointless error codes goes; Yikes!

I have never got any help or direction from those codes, ever. For example, when you look for solutions  this code 19, you get nothing useful (for me)! Never what you need!

I tries an advice and I did uninstall, reboot, install Realtek (from the Realtek site) The different outcome was that the Realtek installed without an error like it did with ASUS version... But there is still no audio. Another difference is that

All the other Microsoft items disappeared from the Device Manager Sound and game controllers... Unlike the first picture above, this one has two drivers. Realtek High Definition Audio and High definition Audio Device... Which is suppose to disappear after a third party Audio driver installed. In this case Realtek. 
e62amr.jpg
Another difference was the version of the drivers.
From ASUS the version reads: Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Setup (3.76) 6.0.1.7058 x64 Edition
From Realtek site it reads: Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Setup (4.27) R2.79

Although I manage the install Realtek without am error,

I'm still getting the same code 19 error pointing Internal HD Audio Device...

Edited by cem, 29 August 2016 - 11:14 AM.

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:10 AM

Before you follow the instructions in post #6 be aware that those actions will remove all your programs, so have the installers saved on external media for all the programs you installed. That way you can quickly reinstall them after the refresh. Refreshing will not affect your personal files, but best to back them up just in case. After doing it this time you might consider making a system image so that you can fix problems more easily if they occur in future. I can take you through how to do that as soon as your system is back in the state you like it to be.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:18 AM

Before you follow the instructions in post #6 be aware that those actions will remove all your programs, so have the installers saved on external media for all the programs you installed. That way you can quickly reinstall them after the refresh. Refreshing will not affect your personal files, but best to back them up just in case. After doing it this time you might consider making a system image so that you can fix problems more easily if they occur in future. I can take you through how to do that as soon as your system is back in the state you like it to be.

It will not remove all of their programs.  It will only remove any third party programs as I stated in my last post.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:22 AM

Sorry, I didn't see that in your post. I thought I should warn him about the fact it will remove some programs, and most programs are third party.

#11 cem

cem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:21 AM

Yes and I stated that it takes me 14 to 15 days to build my work station before RP88 has warned me about loosing programs...

But I made a typo apparently it came out 4 to 5 days... Which is also a long time to install stuff...

So...

About the system restore thingy I made a USB disk but not bootable with Macrium all I wanted drivers back up in registry. But I couldn't get on to it to save or do anything with it... Yet...

Anyways thank you both for trying though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users