Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A link directed to Xfinity activaition

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ReneeIII

ReneeIII

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:21 PM

I have 1 link to a thread on a forum which gets redirected to Xfinity activation. This has been happening since yesterday. I was having problems with the desktop PC. I shut it off with the button on the tower. Then put a new modem on. The last link I was using I can no longer go to.

Tried shutting down properly and then putting the old modem back on. Still can not go to the thread.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:35 PM

You are able to get on the internet with both modems?

What is the link you cannot go to? Is that the only site that redirects you?

What browser are you using? Have you tried it with a different browser? (if that is the only site that redirects)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 August 2016 - 10:00 PM.

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

Are you still using a switch to connect the two computers to your modem as seen in your thread here? If so, what model modem is it? If your ISP only gives you 1 IP, then a switch can only assign that IP to one device at a time. That is why the second device is asking you to sign up, since you aren't paying for a second IP. Also, each time you swap between computers, you normally have to reboot(turn off/on) the modem. If you don't want to reboot the modem, or you want both devices online at a time, your ISP has to offer multiple IP's or you need to buy a router, not a switch. 

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:20 PM

When you put the new modem on it appears you did not activate it with Comcast. My question, did you activate it either online or over the phone?

Trikein is correct that you need turn everything off when you switch the modems. He is also correct that if you want to use 2 modems you will have to call Comcast and sign up for another internet service, which will add to your bill.

To continue using your old modem:

Turn off the computer.

Unplug the modem from the power source OR by pulling out the power connection from the back of the modem.

If you use a router, do the same with it for the router power cord.

Wait 30 seconds.

Connect the power cord to modem, wait until all lights sync.

Then connect the power cord to the router. Let the blinking lights stabilize.

Turn on your computer.

You should be able to access the internet IF you did NOT call Comcast and have the old modem deactivated.
If it is not activated, then activate online.

Want to use the NEW modem? Follow the procedure above with it. Then activate it.

If the old modem is rental, return it to Comcast.

#5 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:49 PM

Are you still using a switch to connect the two computers to your modem as seen in your thread here? If so, what model modem is it?

I connected the switch to the 2 PCs and the modem, Netgear cm400 stopped working. Eventually I got it to work. So decided to put that project aside. Now busy with other projects related to thread I can not excess via the desktop with ubuntu os. Possibly can excess with laptop with windows os. Just the laptop is slower than the desktop thus I hate to use it. Both are over 5 years old.

#6 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

When you put the new modem on it appears you did not activate it with Comcast. My question, did you activate it either online or over the phone?

Trikein is correct that you need turn everything off when you switch the modems. He is also correct that if you want to use 2 modems you will have to call Comcast and sign up for another internet service, which will add to your bill.

To continue using your old modem:

Turn off the computer.

Unplug the modem from the power source OR by pulling out the power connection from the back of the modem.

If you use a router, do the same with it for the router power cord.

Wait 30 seconds.

Connect the power cord to modem, wait until all lights sync.

Then connect the power cord to the router. Let the blinking lights stabilize.

Turn on your computer.

You should be able to access the internet IF you did NOT call Comcast and have the old modem deactivated.
If it is not activated, then activate online.

Want to use the NEW modem? Follow the procedure above with it. Then activate it.

If the old modem is rental, return it to Comcast.

I connected the new modem. Waited for the lights to stop blinking and then called comcast to activate it. Then several times on line went through the steps to activate, for was directed to web site when I went a specific link at plantedtank.net. Other links on the web site get me to the right page.
I basicly did what you said to do. I own both modems.

Edited by ReneeIII, 27 August 2016 - 06:56 PM.

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:03 PM

I can not excess via the desktop with ubuntu os. Possibly can excess with laptop with windows os. Just the laptop is slower than the desktop thus I hate to use it.

You said you put aside the project with the switch, so now how do you have the laptop and desktop connected to the modem? Are you swapping the ethernet between the desktop and laptop and power cycling the modem each time?

If you have the desktop connected directly to the CM400 and still can't get online, what error are you getting? What version of Ubuntu are you using?  What IP info are you getting? See here to find how.

#8 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:11 PM

I can not excess via the desktop with ubuntu os. Possibly can excess with laptop with windows os. Just the laptop is slower than the desktop thus I hate to use it.

You said you put aside the project with the switch, so now how do you have the laptop and desktop connected to the modem? Are you swapping the ethernet between the desktop and laptop and power cycling the modem each time?

If you have the desktop connected directly to the CM400 and still can't get online, what error are you getting? What version of Ubuntu are you using?  What IP info are you getting? See here to find how.

I am not using the laptop just the desktop.

I can get on line. I just can not get to the last thread on planted tank that I was writing on. Using desktop with ubuntu 16.04

Did understand how to pull up the windows suggested so I used the terminal to find the info

Info, which I do not understand, is

brain@brain:~$ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:00:00:0b:06  
          inet addr:24.98.44.48  Bcast:24.98.45.255  Mask:255.255.254.0
          inet6 addr: 2001:558:6011:7e:5533:13f:449f:9c3b/128 Scope:Global
          inet6 addr: fe80::a5a5:1189:cd35:c119/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:17315 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:14639 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:12810473 (12.8 MB)  TX bytes:2131169 (2.1 MB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:2128 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:2128 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1 
          RX bytes:216888 (216.8 KB)  TX bytes:216888 (216.8 KB)

Edited by ReneeIII, 27 August 2016 - 07:14 PM.

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:18 PM

What is "planted tank"? Do you mean http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ ? What thread are you trying to go to? 

Edited by Trikein, 27 August 2016 - 07:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users