Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"to skip disk checking press any key" Not working!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

When I started up my computer, a Dell Optiplex 780, I was presented with a black checkdisk screen that reads ""to skip disk checking press any key" withing 5 seconds, but no matter how many keys I pressed, the counter WILL NOT stop counting down and the disk check proceeds EVEN THOUGH I HIT MULTIPLE keys MULTIPLE times!!! powering off the machine and trying again STILL NOT WORKING!! THERE IS NO WAY to MAKE IT STOP when I NEED TO DO SOMETHING IMPORTANT!!! I Googled the problem but NOTHING CAME UP like this has NEVER been a problem WITH ANYBODY ELSE IN THE PAST!!!

Any ideas on what the problem may be???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,079 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:09 AM

Let it run the full cycle of checking the disk.

Post back any results.

You may need to repair the disk for any errors etc.

Edited by Havachat, 27 August 2016 - 04:09 AM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:14 AM

I hope you have made current, recent, backups on your trusted external media before this situation started.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:55 AM

Let it run the full cycle of checking the disk.

This recommendation is not exactly the best. If the primary (system dir) drive is 300 to 500 GB or even larger, it takes a very long time. And that is not essential, even not recommended to run on every time when the computer starts or simply restarts.

The best thing is to disable autoscan and run it manually, if is some kind of suspicion, or regularly after a certain time.

There are several options on how to disable it:
  • use some an appropriate tool, such as Windows Yamicsoft Manager;
  • Registry method;
  • command line method;

Here is one simple story explaining what it is and how to do it manually.

Spoiler

Edited by kaljukass, 27 August 2016 - 08:06 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:11 AM

I would let the scan proceed...and I would never try to stop the automatic disk check triggered by Windows.  The auto disk check indicates a problem with the files/file system and is the Windows attempt to clear it.

After the system boots, I would then run the chkdsk /r command on the partition, since the auto check disk is not necessarily capable of dealing with whatever problem there is, while the chkdsk /r command is the best effort that Windows can make to resolve the perceived issues.

Louis

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:15 AM

Slyveon, I recommend combining the advice of both Hamlius and Kaljukass; do as Hamlius recommended, and later, add on Kaljukass' advice after the current run is finished.  Hamlius is correct about not disabling whatever Windows will automatically run.  I also recommend downloading, installing and using whatever long-term maintenance utilities BC recommends.  [BTW, I am not referring to PC tune-ups, speeder-uppers, registry-fixers/compressors, and other similar more-grief-than-joy utilities.]

Edited by RolandJS, 27 August 2016 - 11:18 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users