Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire Black screen. Help with bios flash please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John68

John68

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:17 PM

Hello, I have an Acer Aspire Timeline X 5820TG, with the black screen of death. This happened a few starts after cleaning some virus with MS defender.

I have read that it is most likely a corrupted bios. I have also since ruled out the screen and the cmos battery and clearing the static without the battery.

Apparently after downloading the latest bios upgrade file (ZQ1_122W.executive) Acer support onto a flash drive, I used FN + Esc then the Power button to install the above bios file.

After this failed, I added a notepad with Autorun in brackets and then ( open = the bios e x e )file , as well and saved it as an I N F file, along with the executive bios file and retried. (This is the absolute extent of my coding knowledge).

But so far I have been unsuccessful.

I suspect I am trying to install the wrong bios file, and also installing it the wrong way as well.

The computer shops are just keen to sell me a new expensive replacement laptop, and so not much help there either.

Please, if anyone can help me I would be so appreciative and thankful.

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:27 PM

I doubt if this is a BIOS issue but it's possible the computer was bricked after a bad flash that you said failed.

What happens when you tap F8 at boot? Do you get the Advanced Boot Options. I am assuming this is Windows 7. You cannot access Safe Mode with Windows 8 or 10 using F8.

Do you need any data on the hard drive? If not, would you be willing to do a factory reset? If you do need the data would you be willing to do a factory reset after recovering the data?

What was the OS that came with this computer?  Was it upgraded to Windows 10?

Do you have another computer you can burn an iso file to CD? I am hoping you can boot a CD or USB flash drive on this computer.

#3 John68

John68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:40 PM

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply.

When I turn on the computer, there is nothing, no keys will bring up any menus, f8 f2 f10 etc. That's why I thought it might be a corrupt bios, (this is only from reading online forums and a desperate self diagnose)..

It's a Windows 10 from 7 updated version. We are able to live with the complete lost of data yes.

I have another computer to be able to make a usb yes?

I don't know the term "bricked" sorry.

Cheers,

John

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

Bricked means that the computer is essentially a brick. Nothing works and the only way to fix a bad flash is to get a new BIOS chip soldered to the motherboard. From your explanation it does seem like a BIOS issue. From what I have searched, you need a Crisis disk program to create a flash drive for BIOS recovery.

See this page. It may or may not work for you. I would scan all files you download on virustotal.

Have you tried powercycling the computer? Pull the power adapter and main battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power but do not replace the main battery. Try booting.

I was hoping you got some light or activity when pressing the power button. I was going to suggest booting a linux disk but from your description of the problem a boot disk will not work.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 August 2016 - 06:59 PM.

#5 John68

John68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:46 PM

Hi, yes I had tried the power-cycling a number of times when first reading about this type of issue.

Thank you for the suggestions and links; I much appreciate it. Will let you know shortly if I have any success.

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users