Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless router Password Shared with Employee

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chiiibill

chiiibill

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

Wife does much of her work at home.

Employee came over with her laptop for meeting. she wanted to connect to our wifi.

Wife gave Router password.

I suppose network may now be compromised. As a novice, what is my next step (and how is it done)?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:39 PM

How would the network be compromised? if all they did was connect to it and use it it shouldn't be compromised, if you mean how to change the password that's an entirely different process. would you mind elaborating on what you meant when you said " I suppose network may now be compromised"

Edited by Viper_Security, 26 August 2016 - 04:39 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:20 PM

You're right.  Did not think this through...lack of familiarity and experience being a novice.

I guess the worst that could happen is that he parks outside and leeches bandwidth.

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:52 PM

No Worries :)

hQBT2G3.png

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:21 AM

You're right.  Did not think this through...lack of familiarity and experience being a novice.

I guess the worst that could happen is that he parks outside and leeches bandwidth.

I do not know your router, however, most routers' passwords can be changed through its menu.  Viper_Security, I have a question for you because you are very knowledgeable about security matters:  Would anyone's wifi security also depend upon the Network and Sharing Center's Changed advanced sharing settings?  I ask because at school, my laptop has all those settings off with password on, and suddenly no more "seeing" other people's devices in my Explorer's left column.  Means they can no longer "see me" either?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:37 AM

I do not know your router, however, most routers' passwords can be changed through its menu.  Viper_Security, I have a question for you because you are very knowledgeable about security matters:  Would anyone's wifi security also depend upon the Network and Sharing Center's Changed advanced sharing settings?  I ask because at school, my laptop has all those settings off with password on, and suddenly no more "seeing" other people's devices in my Explorer's left column.  Means they can no longer "see me" either?

Wi-Fi security No,

if your network and sharing center settings are turned off you can no longer see people connected to the same LAN and vise versa, if it's on you can see other devices that have their sharing turned on as well.

However if someone has connected to your network before and they do as the OP had mentioned and leech off Wi-Fi, if both parties have sharing turned on, then you can,1. see the person(s) connected to your network via the computer name under the "Network" tab in the left hand menu in FileExplorer. and 2. View their files that have been allowed to be shared (they also can view yours if your sharing is turned on)

So if you're worried about that, the solution is simple, change the Wi-Fi password via the Router Gui :)

Edited by Viper_Security, 27 August 2016 - 04:38 AM.

hQBT2G3.png

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:22 AM

You're right!  Windows "told" me the same thing that you told me:  anyone already connected before settings were set of OFF are not affected by such changes.  I will remember to do my settings before allowing coffee-shop wifi, which is easy to do, all I have to do is use Windows Firewall to block everything temporarily.

Getting back to thread starter -- would thread starter be better off to change wifi router password AND write that password into a locked-drawer paper&pen notebook?

Edited by RolandJS, 27 August 2016 - 11:23 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:13 PM

Some routers have the ability for a guest network. This is a separate wireless network name that your guests would connect to with a separate password. That way you could just disable the guest network when they aren't over and the guests would have no info on your private wireless network. Further, access between computers on the guest and private networks can be restricted for privacy reasons, but this stops the guest from using your printer.

Besides that, it is a good idea to change your password about as often as you change your toothbrush. This is easier said then done, but solves a lot of the more common router vulnerabilities. 

#9 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:09 PM

(1) Would anyone's wifi security also depend upon the Network and Sharing Center's Changed advanced sharing settings? I ask because at school, my laptop has all those settings off with password on, and suddenly no more "seeing" other people's devices in my Explorer's left column. (2) Means they can no longer "see me" either?

(1) That's one of the security issues, that most people don't know when using public WiFi.

(2) Well, not completely, with the appropriate network software, this opens other doors.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:31 AM

Trikein, I have a Netgear 7550 AT&T DSL modem, do you know where I could start looking for such an option?

Edited by RolandJS, 28 August 2016 - 06:32 AM.

#11 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:01 AM

Doesn't look like that model has it. 7550 is a rebranded Westell that only has basic features. Are you using it as your wireless router?

Here is a example of a router that does have it, the Asus RT-N66U.

Edited by Trikein, 28 August 2016 - 10:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users