Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Severely Under-Performing Windows 7 Setup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 internethandle

internethandle

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:57 PM

Hey, thanks for reading and I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I bought an Alienware M14x sometime in 2011 if I remember correctly. I am running Windows 7 home premium. When I bought the computer I ticked nearly all of the upgrade boxes for a higher powered video card, more RAM, etc. and if this sounds like I'm a computer peasant it's because I am. When I first got the computer it was incredibly slow right out the gates. At the time I remember crisis was one of the metrics of computer performance and it was supposed to be able to run it on high settings. It could barely run World of Warcraft on low settings without chugging along at several frames per second. Nowadays I can barely run quadrilateral cowboy. Most recently I can barely watch youtube videos without it freezing every few seconds and the recovering sometimes causing my external audio interface to stop working and then I have to unplug it and plug it back in. This computer has been a b**** and a half, from the fan spinning on the highest speed constantly out the box, to it's total lackluster performance in every aspect.

When I first got the computer I had some problems and I think I may have done a fresh install of windows, memory is not the best. I have always wondered if the drivers that were installed during this re-initializing of the system were not optimal. I'm not sure.. the computer has fought me on everything I have ever tried to use it for. Fortunately Im not really all that into gaming, I make music and I was able to run ableton for a while but then I started maxing out the CPU meter constantly. I turned my sample rate down in the program and that helped a bit but it isn't ideal. I know it sounds like I don't know anything about computers and I've probably done quite a number on it but honestly I run a pretty tight ship I think. I am careful about software I use, I have familiarized myself with WinDirStat and used it to understand everything I have on my computer and make sure it is organized efficiently etc.

I know this doesn't really pose a question so here it is..

...can someone help me figure out why a computer that was advertised as a gaming rig can't run quad cowboy without audio dropouts and video freezes and the fan screaming away from under the hood?

Thanks and I'm sorry for this total sh**post I just need help an I'm completely at the end of my patience with this thing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

I would first try doing a clean boot and see if there is any change.

If not scan the drive for any issues using Seatools for Windows. I would also check your memory using Memtest86+. Run it for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight.

Also look at your temperatures. You can run Speccy or RealTemp. Speccy will also check your hard drive temps. 

#3 internethandle

internethandle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for your reply JohnC_21!

I did a clean boot and wow, I think there was definitely a huge improvement! Not perfect but a lot better. I was able to run quad cowboy and also skyrim without my fan going crazy, and while the framerate wasn't amazing on either it was way way better than what I have been able to do in the past. Should I just clean boot all the time?

I'd still like to see if there are other things that might help. Advisable to run Seatools and the other stuff you recommended?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

Running Seatools and memtest wouldn't hurt but I would first start enabling services and startup items to see which one or ones are conflicting. Also check your temps.

I would clean your temp files with TFC

If you see your CPU maxing out open task manager and click on Resource Meter. In the upper pane look for the process that is using CPU. Check the box next to it and in the lower pane you will see what service are using that process. Lately the Windows Update Service has been taking up a lot of CPU, 50% on dual core and 25% on quad core processors using Windows 7. You can disable Windows Update Service then check for updates manually. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 August 2016 - 02:06 PM.

#5 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:11 AM

- About when did your system slow down ? Was that around the 2nd quarter of this year ?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

With the changes made in the changes in the System Configuration and restarted the computer enable half of the

Services and restart the computer.

If the computer is still running better disable the services you had enabled and enable the second half of the Services.

If there is a specific Services causing this problem it should revert back to the problem in one half of the Services.

Once you determine which half of the Services the problematic Service is located in split that half again in half and repeat the process to determine which section has the problem Service.  Keep doing this till you find the specific Service causing the problem.

If no Service is found which is causing the problem do the same process of elimination with the startup items.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 internethandle

internethandle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:12 PM

thanks for your help everyone will report back soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users