Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it acceptable to remove standard Microsoft Windows applications?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lithoartist

lithoartist

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:53 AM

Reliability Monitor showed a critical event, "Money - Stopped working" yesterday, followed by twelve successful Windows Updates for MSN Money, MSN News, MSN Weather, Windows Camera, MSN Sports, etc.  One of my dislikes regarding Windows 10 is the automatic Windows Updates and of programs for which I have no use, particularly.  I do not see them in Programs and features>Uninstall or change a program nor Revo Uninstaller, yet they are present in CCLeaner>Tools.  Should there be no unfortunate consequences if I find I am able to uninstall them here?  Will I continue to find Microsoft attempts to update them still?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:51 AM

Yes, you can uninstall them. You will not get any updates after uninstall but if Windows 10 gets a major update you may have them back again.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:56 AM

I keep seeing articles on Windows 10 that feature how to uninstall/ disable many features of it. It's almost like info to convert 10 to Windows 7.

Try unhiding hidden files in Windows 10. Show hidden files

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type folder, and then select Show hidden files and folders from the search results.
  2. Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then select OK.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

Yes, you can uninstall them. You will not get any updates after uninstall but if Windows 10 gets a major update you may have them back again.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

In the past I have used the instructions on that page to remove the junk I don't want. I found it when I wanted to get the darn things off my start menu. There was no way to delete them from start menu. I found several references to go to All Users/Start Menu and delete from there. Unfortunately, they were not in that folder even when I chose to show hidden folders.

Then I found the How To Geek page.

I followed the instructions individually for a couple of them. Because I wanted to get rid of many more I took the time to copy then paste each command in Notepad.

After all of them had been put in Notepad, I copied it all, pasted it in Power Shell and bingo, it worked. All gone in one fell swoop. My start menu was no longer cluttered with useless things I would never use.

There have been no adverse affects to my computer by following that method to get rid of them.

edit to add: I don't know if they truly are uninstalled. What do know is that if you create a new user account after you "uninstall" those things will be on the Start menu of the new user. I do NOT know if they will be "uninstalled" on another already existing user account or if you have to do it separately for each one.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 August 2016 - 02:08 PM.

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:30 PM

Apps are not uninstalled via the Control Panel, but I just right-click them on the Start menu and click Uninstall.  That's always worked for me.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

Some of them do not have UNINSTALL. After I did uninstall by right clicking on items I did not want, others still remained in the Start Menu.
Those are the ones I used the Power Shell commands to get rid of.

#7 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

Good to know about Power Shell, grits lady.  I haven't run into any of those apps not having an uninstall option, but I'm sure there are some, as you say.  How about Revo Uninstaller?  I've used it on regular "real" programs in the past, but never with these apps from the Store.

You have to wonder what MS was thinking when they decided to abandon the old tried and true methods with these new and different ways of doing things.  I guess that's part of the reason Mr. Balmer and the lead guy for Windows 8 (I don't remember his name) are no longer part of Microsoft.  :wizardball:

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users