Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Missing (deleted) Files

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:50 AM

Greetings. not sure if this was posted or not but here's the thing  on trying to remove the welcome screen avatar (pic and frame)  all default pics are gone,the folders are there but the pics are gone.(not personal pics,the default windows pics) I had did this once before and it did remove the avatar completlely. Repeated the steps but now the pics are gone and the !@#$%^&  avatar is still there. My ? is do I need to restore the pics and try again or is there another way to remove the avatar? Also, this is win 10 Home version so I don't have Group Policy Editor, Thx :scratchhead:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:24 AM

Greetings. not sure if this was posted or not but here's the thing  on trying to remove the welcome screen avatar (pic and frame)  all default pics are gone,the folders are there but the pics are gone.(not personal pics,the default windows pics) I had did this once before and it did remove the avatar completlely. Repeated the steps but now the pics are gone and the !@#$%^&  avatar is still there. My ? is do I need to restore the pics and try again or is there another way to remove the avatar? Also, this is win 10 Home version so I don't have Group Policy Editor, Thx :scratchhead:

Greetings,I know this isn't a major issue and you guys are always busy but, I couldn't help notice there are some 70 views and not one reply. What I would like is a "clean " welcome screen no avatar or personal info (I can sign in automatically) I just want to get rid of the avatar. Microsoft should allow users to choose if they want items(pics,names.etc) displayed or not. Anyway,if someone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it and again thnx :thumbsup2:     

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:37 AM

Are you saying you deleted your images but an image remains (avatar) on the login screen or you want to delete the blank avatar box on the login screen. I do not know how to delete the avatar box itself.You can find your avatar images in the following location. 

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/remove-old-user-account-pictures-in-windows-10

Where does Windows 10 store user account pictures

Windows 10 stores your user account pictures in a hidden AccountPictures folder. To see its contents, open File Explorer and browse to the following location:

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures

#4 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:50 AM

Are you saying you deleted your images but an image remains (avatar) on the login screen or you want to delete the blank avatar box on the login screen. I do not know how to delete the avatar box itself.You can find your avatar images in the following location. 

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/remove-old-user-account-pictures-in-windows-10

Where does Windows 10 store user account pictures

Windows 10 stores your user account pictures in a hidden AccountPictures folder. To see its contents, open File Explorer and browse to the following location:

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures

Greetings, that's the problem there are no pictures there, just an empty folder. But thnx for replying.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

In addition to unhiding files if you unhide system files in options do you see any files in the Account Pictures folder?

Some additional folders to look under

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6795-account-picture-change-windows-10-a.html

The default user account picture images are in the hidden system folder below.

arrow.png %ProgramData%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures

Your current user account picture is stored in the hidden folder below.

arrow.png C:\Users\Public\Public Account Pictures\S-1-5-21.......(GUID for user account)

#6 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:31 PM

In addition to unhiding files if you unhide system files in options do you see any files in the Account Pictures folder?

Some additional folders to look under

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6795-account-picture-change-windows-10-a.html

The default user account picture images are in the hidden system folder below.

arrow.png %ProgramData%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures

Your current user account picture is stored in the hidden folder below.

arrow.png C:\Users\Public\Public Account Pictures\S-1-5-21.......(GUID for user account)

Greetings, I have all the above folders and they're all empty.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:19 PM

Does using the method here work.

http://www.top-password.com/blog/change-or-remove-user-account-picture-in-windows/

#8 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:51 PM

Greetings,  see my answer in #6

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:16 PM

Even renaming the folder has no affect? If not then I am pretty much out of ideas on this one, sorry.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 August 2016 - 06:16 PM.

#10 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:14 AM

Even renaming the folder has no affect? If not then I am pretty much out of ideas on this one, sorry.

Greetings, not a problem, thanks for trying .Hopefully they'll keep this open for awhile incase someone else has an answer to removing the logon avatar. If you  come across anything reply here or send me an email thnx again :bowdown:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users