Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a normal support question?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:46 AM

I'm trying to logging into an old account I had on Dailymotion, my password wasn't working and trying to reset wouldn't work so I contactd support. The support is partially in another language and is asking me for my full name, address, identity card scan -- none of which I used to sign up with-- to delete my account or change my password for me. It's confusing me because it looks a lot like a phishing scam but maybe they had a lot of attacks or something? I'm not sure how to reply back and I just to see what kind of playlists I had before I delete it. It's so weird! 

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:55 AM

If the information they are asking for wasn't in the account to begin with, what are they attempting to verify (assuming that is the reason for all of the questions)? Verifying you are you before resetting the password.

Edited by Will5200, 26 August 2016 - 06:56 AM.

#3 bitesized1612

bitesized1612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:23 AM

Fair enough! But it was so weird! Threw me for a loop or two. To be fair I have a massive sinus headache and no way to scan an ID card.

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:50 AM

IMO..it's not a typical procedure.

Every online account of any sort (webmail, forums, stores, etc.) which I have or have had online...verifies information via email used to register the account.  The lone exception might be a financiall institution (bank, credit union, etc.) and that makes sense because those types of accounts cannot be initially set up online and require physical verification of identity.

Registration & Access Per Website

Topic moved from Gen Chat to Gen Security.

Louis

#5 bitesized1612

bitesized1612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:03 AM

It's been resolved now, the account has been deleted without issue. 

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:58 PM

My guess is the support contract for Dailymotion was changed, and the new group didn't have access to the old data. They probably had pop ups asking them to input the data each time they enter a "new" account. Just be careful who you are talking to, and only get support numbers from the official site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users