Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Build Trying to Load Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 devagio

devagio

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:33 PM

Everything is registering and being recognized by the motherboard itself but the boot disk or boot usb is not. The closest I got was a black screen with the windows logo in the middle of it last night. This is the only thing I need to move forward with my first build.

These are the only three messages I've gotten during the process. The First two don't appear anymore.

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

https://panam.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Intel2/4006153R/40...

8gb RAM

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93

120gb SSD

500gb HDD

GeForce GT 730

EVGA 500W PSU

I also have pictures of what the inside of the BIOS menu looks like.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1BgEh90rZ_2c0ttNjk1Y...

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 26 August 2016 - 12:13 PM.
Moved from System Building to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Iam1nsan3

Iam1nsan3

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:09 AM

In the Boot menu, what options are available for "USB Mass Storage Emulation Type"? you might need to set it as a removable device if available.

Turn off your floppy drive if not installed, same with serial port and parallel port also.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:42 AM

The PXE errors...seem to indicate that the BIOS reflects a network boot as the primary boot option.  If it does not, then this error can result from a CMOS battery that needs to be replaced.

What is the first boot device in the BIOS?  Never mind, I see it's the optical disk.

What disk are you using to try this install?  That may be the problem.

I would remove the 500GB drive before trying to install Windows...it serves no purpose in the installation process.

Louis

#4 devagio

devagio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:37 AM

In the Boot menu, what options are available for "USB Mass Storage Emulation Type"? you might need to set it as a removable device if available.

Turn off your floppy drive if not installed, same with serial port and parallel port also.

I set it to removable device and I turned off floppy, serial and parallel and the same issue it just goes to a black screen with a blinking white dash in the corner. I feel like I'm really close. Maybe its my copy of windows?

#5 devagio

devagio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

The PXE errors...seem to indicate that the BIOS reflects a network boot as the primary boot option.  If it does not, then this error can result from a CMOS battery that needs to be replaced.

What is the first boot device in the BIOS?  Never mind, I see it's the optical disk.

What disk are you using to try this install?  That may be the problem.

I would remove the 500GB drive before trying to install Windows...it serves no purpose in the installation process.

Louis

I'm not getting the PXE Errors any more, network boot is turned off and the CMOS battery I thought was the issue but I popped it out and put it back in and that fixed an issue I was having when I first started. What should be the boot order be? I was using a copy of windows 7 I used to install on my laptops but I might need a new one. Right now I just have my SSD plugged into my Motherboard.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:22 AM

You cannot legally install an OEM (Lenovo, Dell, etc.) version of an O/S...on a different system.  Please read the terms of use from the OEM system manufacturer.

In addition to violation of the terms of use governing said provided copy...you should run into various hardware problems...because the system that the disk was created for...is not the system on which you are trying to install..and all the drivers/settings reflected on that disk...are not finding matches.

If you have the same version of Windows (same activation code) installed on more than 1 system...that also is a violation of the terms of use and it's highly possible that Microsoft will detect such and declare the applicable license code to be null and void.

Louis

#7 devagio

devagio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:16 AM

You cannot legally install an OEM (Lenovo, Dell, etc.) version of an O/S...on a different system.  Please read the terms of use from the OEM system manufacturer.

In addition to violation of the terms of use governing said provided copy...you should run into various hardware problems...because the system that the disk was created for...is not the system on which you are trying to install..and all the drivers/settings reflected on that disk...are not finding matches.

If you have the same version of Windows (same activation code) installed on more than 1 system...that also is a violation of the terms of use and it's highly possible that Microsoft will detect such and declare the applicable license code to be null and void.

Louis

So basically what I would need to find is what is supposed to be installed on the original motherboard correct? That would require me to go talk to Gateway/Acer and I can't do that since I only bought the motherboard and not a computer. They want a serial number to offer tech support and I don't think there is one on this motherboard. I have a key for the versions I am using and they are currently running on 2 other computers my issues right now are just getting windows to install but if I need the OEM version that presents an additional challenge. I then have 2 questions.

Do you know a way to get through to Acer without a serial?

Do you know a way to override this in the BIOS so I can just get windows installed? 

https://panam.gateway.com/emachines/software/microsof/Windows7/Windows7faq3.shtml

These are their instructions to installing Win 7 clean. I don't think it's that restricted to have to install a specific version of windows. The Drivers I already have that covered at least on paper I do.

Also would me using a usb CD Drive vs an optical drive be the reason it is not reading it?

Edited by devagio, 26 August 2016 - 11:35 AM.

#8 Iam1nsan3

Iam1nsan3

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 05:35 AM

The flashing cursor tells me that your machine has a SLIC loaded in the BIOS and it is trying to boot from a loader.

Try this, though it goes against all that Windows 7 normally does for set-up.

Change the USB from Legacy to AHCI instead. It normally only works as Legacy.

One of my old MB's I installed the SLIC in the BIOS so I could use as an OEM. After SLIC was installed I could only reinstall OS using AHCI for initial boot then at reboot reset it back to legacy or you will get a boot fail.

It is strange but that may work.

SLIC = Software licensing description table. Loaded into BIOS on Windows 7 OEM machines. So when OS is installed it reads the SLIC and system does an auto activation.

#9 devagio

devagio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:48 AM

The flashing cursor tells me that your machine has a SLIC loaded in the BIOS and it is trying to boot from a loader.
Try this, though it goes against all that Windows 7 normally does for set-up.
Change the USB from Legacy to AHCI instead. It normally only works as Legacy.
One of my old MB's I installed the SLIC in the BIOS so I could use as an OEM. After SLIC was installed I could only reinstall OS using AHCI for initial boot then at reboot reset it back to legacy or you will get a boot fail.
It is strange but that may work.

SLIC = Software licensing description table. Loaded into BIOS on Windows 7 OEM machines. So when OS is installed it reads the SLIC and system does an auto activation.

So I got windows to load and install but it's only half installed if that makes sense. After the files install it has to finish the install by starting up well when it does it flashes to the blue screen and then goes to the boot options menu. I clicked safe mode and it proceeded but windows can't install I'm safe mode. It's installed on my system but for some reason is not picking it up off the hdd normally but it is in safe mode. Is there a way to override install in safe mode through the command prompt to move forward?

This is the error code I got.

0x00000009 isn't the exact STOP code you're seeing or IRQL_NOT_GREATER_OR_EQUA

Edited by devagio, 27 August 2016 - 10:03 AM.

#10 Iam1nsan3

Iam1nsan3

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

I would recommend for you to do a BIOS update on this Mainboard to either fix your problem and it will work like a new PC, or that will fail which will then validate the Kernel error and mean a possible rootkit infection. If it fails the BIOS update throw the board away. I am more leaning towards the BIOS Flash doing the job.

And if you would like to humour me and run a check disk with switches F & R before you do the BIOS Flash. It could be a heap of BAD sectors inside the first 10% of disk also causing the craziness that you are seeing. If it finds and deletes a heap of cross linked files and completes then good it should now work fine, but if it hits an unrecoverable error the only option is HDD Regenerator.

Good luck I hope these things help you get to a fix. I am keen to know.

#11 devagio

devagio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:53 PM

I would recommend for you to do a BIOS update on this Mainboard to either fix your problem and it will work like a new PC, or that will fail which will then validate the Kernel error and mean a possible rootkit infection. If it fails the BIOS update throw the board away. I am more leaning towards the BIOS Flash doing the job.
And if you would like to humour me and run a check disk with switches F & R before you do the BIOS Flash. It could be a heap of BAD sectors inside the first 10% of disk also causing the craziness that you are seeing. If it finds and deletes a heap of cross linked files and completes then good it should now work fine, but if it hits an unrecoverable error the only option is HDD Regenerator.
Good luck I hope these things help you get to a fix. I am keen to know.

So I did the disk check and it came back clean so that leaves a bios update. How do I update the bios without an os? Also is there a way to override the install and proceed in safe mode? I'm going to try and snap a pic of the blue screen I'm getting. If this all works and you're the reason behind it I'll engrave your name into the case.
---------------------
*UPDATE*

I'm at a total loss. I tried installing 2 versions of Windows 7, 1 version of Windows Vista and for funsies I tried windows 2000. All of the load the files to install and then go to the blue screen usually with the 0x00000d1 error. I tried removing the RAM. Checking the HDD and SSD they were all factory new like everything was and this is turning into a complete bust. The bios everything registers and shows up in just don't know what is wrong that every single disc I've used is not working and forcing my system into an error.

Edited by devagio, 28 August 2016 - 12:32 PM.

#12 Iam1nsan3

Iam1nsan3

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:16 AM

OK mate this option is using a Windows PE (Pre-Installation Environment) which runs in RAM.

I am currently running one identical to this as my OS for the moment.

It is a Windows 10 PE and also has a lot of tools added.

The developer is Russian and so is his website, but he makes this in both Russian & English, search Google for Sergei Strelec and look through his site for WinPE 10 x64 English Edition, download the ISO image

If you can get this to boot then you can use this environment to either download and install the BIOS Flash Tool to use inside Windows or create a bootable USB stick or Floppy disk to perform BIOS Flashing at start up.

Hopefully your Mainboard Manufacturer supports Flashing from within Windows, it would be easier. But for ultimate safety and you can make it, do it from bootable device.

If you cannot boot with this PE disc then I will create a bootable image for you, tell me your Mainboard Manufacturer & exact model number of your Mainboard and what BIOS version you currently have installed. I will then upload the bootable image to Dropbox for you.

I just discovered that I am not allowed to post links to files, understandable.

Good Luck.

Edited by Iam1nsan3, 29 August 2016 - 10:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users