Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Options for backing up to an external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BigD_NC

BigD_NC

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:05 PM

A few years ago, I had a motherboard failure on a computer that was at the end of its life.  After talking to some IT people, they told me to remove my old hard drive and get a case to make it an external hard drive so that I can copy my old files to my new computer.  That worked well, but I have this external hard drive getting no use.

So I'm wondering what my options are for backing up files to an external drive.  I will do it periodically but I was wondering if there was a program out there that is recommended.

I've never done a backup, so it's all new to me.  I know which specific folders I want to copy to the external drive (pictures, documents, etc).

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:14 PM

I recommend beginning with the free version of Macrium Reflect.  It has a small learning curve.  Soon, you will be making routine full images of both your OS partition and Data partition onto your external HD.  Test your first few backups by actually restoring a folder or two.

Edited by RolandJS, 26 August 2016 - 07:41 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:15 PM

Simplest way is to do it manually or use windows own command line commands.
For example use .bat or .cmd script and Windows Scheduler Task. Works well.

But there is so many absolutely free software, what makes it well.
For example FreeFileSync, get it from homepage - http://www.freefilesync.org/
http://www.freefilesync.org/

#4 hutchijw

hutchijw

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:06 AM

I recommend the free version of Veeam Endpoint Backup.  Soon, you will be making routine full images of both your OS partition and Data partition onto your external HD.  Test your first few backups by actually restoring a folder or two.

#5 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:00 PM

If you have an internal or external Western Digital drive, then you could download WD's version of Acronis; remarkably easy to use, save for possibly confusing some folks by always assigning even an external WD drive the "C" designator (when using Acronis' Windows-based boot media), which would lead a beginner into accidentally copying the blank drive)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:53 PM

...assigning even an external WD drive the "C" designator...

that's one reason I have named each HD and each HD partition a unique name.  Each partition name contains the assigned drive letter that is used by Windows on a daily basis.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

Someone, somewhere, has likely cloned an empty drive by mistake, and to the system drive they intended to clone, and lost all data because of it...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

Someone, somewhere, has likely cloned an empty drive by mistake, and to the system drive they intended to clone, and lost all data because of it...

Precisely!  Hence, my careful HD and partition naming; it cuts down on the chances of making a drastic mistake; usb and dvd boots do not normally "parallel" the drive letter assignments by Windows normal load & startup.

Edited by RolandJS, 02 March 2017 - 11:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users