Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 squiggs

squiggs

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:59 PM

how do you go about deleting all of the windows xpo files off the computer? I can't do anything with my computer because it's not recognizing me as the administrator when my account is the only one on there. can someone help me please?
There is one place you can touch a woman that will drive her crazy... her heart

"In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends" ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:16 PM

What exactly, are the problems you're having, giving as many details as you can?
It could be a simple fix.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:27 PM

you could go to safe mode and overwrite the security permissions to get those files, but we need more information.

#4 squiggs

squiggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:08 PM

My computer won't let me open up anything that has an administrator password on it. There is no administrator password on my computer so I don't know why it's doing that. I can only log into certain things on the internet. I can't do a system restore. I can't get into the user accounts. I can't do a search. Nothing in the start menu opens up. I have to right click it and then I will be lucky if I can get it to open.

"In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends" ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

#5 squiggs

squiggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:10 PM

another thing is when i go on the internet i can only open certain pages. or i can only log into certain things. the links on like yahoo or google won't open. i have alot of stuff on my computer that are important like pictures of my daughter that I don't have enough flash drives to save them on.

#6 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:30 PM

You should be able to create a new user account by going into safe mode (tap the F8 key on boot). Once you are there you should have an administrator account. Try to create a new user account within that safe mode account. If that does not work then please post any other errors that you recieve when trying to do this.

#7 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:25 PM

Did your parents put one on there without your knowledge to keep you out of things (not knowing your home situation)?

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:47 PM

Ok, let's just stop with the accusations. There are any number of reasons things can go bad, and an equal number of ways one can try to be helpful. As tg1911 stated, it could be a simple fix, or maybe not. However, all installations of windows XP have an Admin account unless you deleted it. And you really can't accidentally delete it (well, you could, but you would likely know if you did).

If you boot into safe mode, it will boot you into the admin account. See if you can do that first.

What happened right before your computer started not cooporating with you? Did you remove anything, install anything? Is your computer old or new? Does it get a lot of use? Is it making any strange noises? Do you have access to another computer that has a good internet connection and a CD burner?

As for your initial question, the only way to dlete all of the Windows files off the disk is to essentially do a reformat, and wihtout an operating system on your computer, all you have is a fancy boat anchor. And reformatting will destroy all of those files you want to try and save.

#9 squiggs

squiggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:16 PM

alright. thank you. i'll try booting it and doing the safe mode and everything like that. what happened was that my other hard drive crashed and when i got the new one i went and put everything back on my computer that i had on it before. then it just started acting up and being retarded. it's a newer model, a compaq. it's probably about 3 or 4 years old though. and yes i have access to another computer with internet access and it has a cd burner on it..

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:16 AM

When you replaced the hard drive how did you reinstall Windows on it?

When you created your account you may have given yourself a limited account.

If you did not rename the default administrator account it may still be there.

Just type "administrator" in the login box with no password (unless you installed a password on the admin account)

Then go to the account you were using and change it to an administrator account.

Oh, please use the default fonts to post as the one you used is difficult to read)

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 August 2006 - 09:17 AM.

#11 squiggs

squiggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:47 AM

I don't know how it was reinstalled. I didn't do it. I don't have a limited account. I can't get into the user accounts to try and figure that out. When i turn my computer on, the screen with the users has only my account on it. The administrator account doesn't come up when you log on. Even when I logged into my computer on the "safe mode" I still couldn't get into the administrator account. Nothing is working.

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:40 PM

Instead of Safe Mode, try tapping F8 and choosing "Last Known Good Configuration." This will often fix the problem, and it's often caused by a Windows Update on a computer with a single user account. If this doesn't work, it can possibly be repaired using a system recovery, but that's a bit complicated and requires an XP disk.

#13 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:00 AM

If there is no administrator account avail in safe mode and nothing else is working then you could try this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/ . The title is listed as "how to recover from a corrupted registry" but basically it is a manual system restore. This has to be done from recovery console so you will require either an XP cd to boot from or the 6 boot floppies that are also avail from the microsoft website.

Good Luck

#14 squiggs

squiggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:48 AM

thank you

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:55 AM

I don't know how it was reinstalled. I didn't do it. I don't have a limited account. I can't get into the user accounts to try and figure that out. When i turn my computer on, the screen with the users has only my account on it. The administrator account doesn't come up when you log on. Even when I logged into my computer on the "safe mode" I still couldn't get into the administrator account. Nothing is working.

It will not show - you have to type in "Administrator" instead of the name of your account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users