Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All drives mounting as read-only in Precise 5.7.1 Puppy boot disc

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Amedeus

Amedeus

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:30 PM

Several months back I had to transfer files from a laptop drive (connected via USB) to an external drive, and some fine folks in another subforum here helped me find a Puppy boot disc that worked on my laptop to do it, as I was unable to gain control of the drive in Windows.

I'm trying to do the same thing again with a different laptop drive and the same external, using the same computer to boot the same Precise Puppy disc as before, but for some reason both of those drives and the one inside the computer itself all mount as read-only.

All three drives are NTFS and use a Windows file structure. A person on another site thought maybe it had something to do with Windows' hibernation mode, but the two laptop drives were hooked up in two different computers and running two different versions of Windows (Vista and 7) before being connected to Puppy Linux, and the external had been connected to an Android tablet. So I doubt the issue is with the drives themselves, but I suppose you never know.

Let me know any additional information you might need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:06 PM

I can't remember if Gparted is part of Puppy but if it's there run it and look for any exclamation marks or warnings next to the partitions. Right click on the partition and select information.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/491350/warning-image-in-gparted

If Gparted is not in Puppy then you can download the iso of the Live CD here.

http://gparted.org/livecd.php

Edit: Gparted may be under Menu | System | Gparted partition manager

Edit Edit: In Gparted you select your drive in the upper right dropdown box.

Gnome-Partition-Editor-The-Best-Linux-Pa

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 August 2016 - 08:23 PM.

#3 Amedeus

Amedeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:10 PM

I scanned with GParted and it came back with one warning, on the external drive:

"Unable to read the contents of this file system!
Because of this some operations may be unavailable.

The cause might be a missing software package.
The following list of software packages is required for ntfs file system support: ntfsprogs / ntfs-3g."

This seems weird, since all three drives are NTFS. I suppose I need a software package? Even weirder, since it worked a few months ago and this CD wouldn't have changed.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:38 PM

That's strange as I thought puppy had the package. Download Fatdog64 and see if you get the same result.

It could be due to some file system corruption but it's weird it would happen to both drives. Can you back up the data on the external then delete all partitions and create a new partition and reformat?

#5 Amedeus

Amedeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:16 PM

The external IS my backup drive, so that would be difficult to do as I don't have another one to fall back on at the moment.

I might not be able to download fatdog until Monday, but I'll let you know how it goes once I do.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:23 PM

On the Vista drive, if Fatdog does not work, do a chkdsk  X: /r  from a command prompt where X is your Vista drive. Do you have any trouble accessing and writing to the external when using Windows?

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:40 PM

@ JohnC_21:-

That's strange as I thought puppy had the package. Download Fatdog64 and see if you get the same result.

You're not wrong. Every Puppy ever made has had gParted installed as part of the original complement of utilities. It's always found under Menu>System>GParted partition Manager, if using JWM & ROX-filer. Unless you're running any of rg66's 'X' series (with the XFCE desktop and Thunar as the file manager).....in which case you find it under Menu>Control Panel>System.

Precise 5.7.1 has it in the standard location. I run it myself, so that's 'straight from the horse's mouth'..!

The 'ntfs-3g' package sometimes goes a bit wonky in some Pups. I'm also running Tahrpup 6.05.....and it currently insists that my external Seagate drive is 'read-only' on partition 1 (which is NTFS; a hang-over from my Windows days that I just haven't got around to re-formatting yet.). Partition 2 is ext3, and has no such problems.

EDIT:- Sorry, my mistake! You're referring to the 'ntfs-3g' package, aren't you? Yep; Pup's got that as well.....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 28 August 2016 - 06:56 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 Amedeus

Amedeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:02 PM

Hey guys, I downloaded fatdog today and was able to access the laptop's internal drive, so so far so good. I was busy though, so I didn't have time to grab the other drives and try those. I'll do so tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

Hey guys, I downloaded fatdog today and was able to access the laptop's internal drive, so so far so good. I was busy though, so I didn't have time to grab the other drives and try those. I'll do so tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Fatdog gave both read and write privileges?

#10 Amedeus

Amedeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:36 AM

Yes, fatdog allowed me to read from and write to the drive, and both of the other drives now as well! I was able to get my files transferred. Thank you very much for the help!

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:53 AM

Yes, fatdog allowed me to read from and write to the drive, and both of the other drives now as well! I was able to get my files transferred. Thank you very much for the help!

Nice one. Good to hear. Please do remember, though, that Puppies are great little distros in their own right.....not just for rescuing Windows..!  :P

Glad you're sorted, all the same.  :thumbup2:

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 01 September 2016 - 02:03 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users