Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer M2 will not boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boomdig

boomdig

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:36 PM

Got this Acer and didn't use it until the 30 day return policy ran out. Only once did it boot thru to Windows 10 and my mouse was frozen and did not highlight anything. I am supposedly Windows 10 but cannot avoid the first screen that comes up stating I need to press F1` to start. I have even gone so far as purchasing PS2 keyboard and mouse with no changes, I know I am beating a dead horse but the surround sound and music playback, when things are all working right, I have a sweet little combination, i just can't get the operating system going. Do any of you have an insight as to what's going on? I really miss the movies and music. It was very good sounding and the Auzentech board was a real treat. Any ideas or thoughts would be gratefully accepted. Mainly why the Acer M2 is not booting up like it is supposed to. I paid 60 bucks on the  sucker Ebay for it but just cannot get it to work and having an in home tech at 90 bucks an hour, it's just a waste of money   Thanks for any help in advance. I have done everything I can think of except giving up the unit to the dumpster. and giving up on a new desktop but unwilling to go without a fight.

Edited by boomdig, 25 August 2016 - 06:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:55 PM

Look in disk management. Do you see a partition called recovery that is about 13GB in size? This would allow you do to a factory reset but the OS after reset may be something other than windows 10 if this was an upgrade.

Is there a COA sticker on the computer? This would be on the computer if it originally had Windows 7. Do you know if the computer was upgraded from another OS?

You can do a clean install of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. Backup  your data first.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

#3 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:50 AM

I can't get that far. Computer is stuck on Press F1 to continue. Once in a great while it boots up normally but my mouse is frozen. That's all the further I can get into windows. Nothing has booted up except on that rare occasion when it boots into Windows 10 but mouse is frozen. Thinking it might be the HD but don't have a spare to check it.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:28 AM

You can check your hard drive using UBCD. Burn the iso to a CD. At the menu screen select Seatools for DOS under HDD > Diagnostic. If it does not detect your hard drive then at the UBCD menu select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic desktop click on Disk Health. Run the short and long tests. I would also advise you run the Memtest+86 test under the Memory section if the drive passes. Run for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight.

This of course depends on if the computer can boot a disk. Can you access your BIOS settings?

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3182/~/why-cant-i-get-the-f12-boot-menu-to-work-on-my-notebook-or-netbook%3F

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 August 2016 - 07:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users