Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Restarting/Freezing - 41 Kernel-Power

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rebel2345

Rebel2345

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

I recently upgraded a few things on my PC. I bought a kit of 16gb of memory, as well as an EVGA 1070 FTW. 

Once I installed these items, I started to have random freezes/restarts. No BSOD's, even with the option turned off for auto restart on failure. It doesn't seem to be triggered by anything in particular. I replaced my PSU since what I had was old, and the problem persisted. It would take maybe 5 minutes to mess up. I changed out the new ram for my old ram, and the problem stopped. I had gotten some advice about checking if its a driver issue, so I did a little tweaking in safe mode with the new ram installed again, and never had a problem. Thinking this meant it was more of a driver issue, I reinstalled all my drivers, and my PC seemed to be working fine. The only thing I am not able to test is if the GPU is failing in some way, as my old one is now in a friends PC. I still have a few days to exchange if this may be the issue. 

But, no. Its still freezing/restarting. Just not nearly as quickly. Now, its able to run for a couple of hours before it will fail. Like I mentioned before, I am able to do anything I want for the most part. Games (like The Division), web, music, videos, stress tests.. No problems anywhere, just random failure.

I've thought of just doing a complete reformat again, but would like to avoid this if someone may have an answer to my issue. If you need any more information, just let me know.

My basic specs - 

Corsair 750 PSU
Gigabyte GA970S-UD3P
AMD FX-6300 with Hyper 212 cooler
Corsair Vengeance (Old-CML8GX3M2A1600C9B New-CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10)
EVGA GTX1070 FTW

Edited by Rebel2345, 25 August 2016 - 05:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:19 PM

So is it running stable with the old memory and not the new memory? If so I would run it for a while with the old memory and see what happens. Have you reset the bios settings when you switched out the memory? Be sure that the memory are in the gray slots not the black.

That video card is a power hungry monster and requires 2x8 pin connectors. It's 10+2 power phase 215watts. The power supply that you have is plenty power. However, it being a Corsair 750 brand means nothing when it comes to finding out you have a bad PSU. It's possible that the new card you have is pushing the 750 over the edge of being stable for constant use. Without having a extra PSU somewhere in the same 650-800 range there really is no way to tell for sure. Maybe your friend can help you out and let you try his/her PSU for a while just for testing purposes. I have come across a few 750 Corsair that was just a lemon and dropped in a good lesser 650 Corsair and had zero issue since.

#3 Rebel2345

Rebel2345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:27 AM

I did run it for quite some time with the old memory while trying to diagnose, I left that memory back in for at least a couple days and didn't have a problem then. I did reset the bios and also turned on XMP, as well as they are installed in the grey slots.

There was also something weird that would happen when I put the new memory back in. It would work fine for the first start up. I could run out for hours without a problem. As soon as I restart for whatever reason, it would start with the errors again.

The PSU is brand new and this problem persisted through it's install. That's the first thing I thought about my old PSU and swapped it out, didnt change anything.

I was thinking that the latency of the new memory could be causing a problem? I don't know if my mobo is capable of handling it? I couldn't find anything about latency compatibility, but that is the only difference between my new and old memory, besides being a 16GBP kit.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:09 AM

Event ID 41 is simply Windows' way of saying "WTF?"

It's just notification that the computer was shut down for an unknown reason.

Wait until it freezes/restarts, then recover from it and immediately run these reports:

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

To make it work you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 12:42 PM

I did run it for quite some time with the old memory while trying to diagnose, I left that memory back in for at least a couple days and didn't have a problem then. I did reset the bios and also turned on XMP, as well as they are installed in the grey slots.

There was also something weird that would happen when I put the new memory back in. It would work fine for the first start up. I could run out for hours without a problem. As soon as I restart for whatever reason, it would start with the errors again.

The PSU is brand new and this problem persisted through it's install. That's the first thing I thought about my old PSU and swapped it out, didnt change anything.

I was thinking that the latency of the new memory could be causing a problem? I don't know if my mobo is capable of handling it? I couldn't find anything about latency compatibility, but that is the only difference between my new and old memory, besides being a 16GBP kit.

You should follow through with Usasma's post first. Most of the problems are indeed drivers. Probably chipset drivers and bios update etc. I did look through your mobo specs and the QVL (memory list) it doesn't mention anything other than one Samsung 8GB model that was tested at the time. So it's not a big help. You may have to set timings manually. It's possible that you bought a pair with one module bad. You should have a memtest86 done after Usasma goes over the data that you provide. That info helps a lot with troubleshooting. You have a nice system with 8+2 power profile motherboard. It's a shame it's giving you such a hassle. 

#6 Rebel2345

Rebel2345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

I appreciate the replies guy. If I keep having the freezing problems I will get those reports and come back with that info for you when I have time to mess with it. I did run memtest on the 16gb kit with no errors. 

Right now I'm running on my old memory again with no issues. I don't know much about troubleshooting, but I feel like its the timing giving me a problem. I may return this kit and see if another set of memory with the same timing as what I have now will work without errors, but it's a long drive for me to go back to Microcenter again.

#7 Rebel2345

Rebel2345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:25 PM

Alright, so I swapped out my ram for a different set. Again, at first didn't seem to have any problems after install. Left running for a couple hours last night, no problem. Started it after work today, and it froze before Windows 10 fully started. Running right now. Who knows for how long. 

So I have those two files, Not sure if I did them right. 

Attached Files

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

I appreciate the replies guy. If I keep having the freezing problems I will get those reports and come back with that info for you when I have time to mess with it. I did run memtest on the 16gb kit with no errors. 

Right now I'm running on my old memory again with no issues. I don't know much about troubleshooting, but I feel like its the timing giving me a problem. I may return this kit and see if another set of memory with the same timing as what I have now will work without errors, but it's a long drive for me to go back to Microcenter again.

The only difference between that memory is the timings. 9-9-9-24 vs 10-10-10-27. They should work.

I believe the answer to this problem, is to update your bios. Please go to downloads section on BC and download Speccy install it. Run Speccy and go to top... File and Publish a Snapshot. Post that generated URL into your post. We need to figure out the precise model of the motherboard and revision. It would also be helpful if you had the original box the motherboard came in, or look on the etching of the motherboard to confirm the model. Reason being, In your original post you put Gigabyte GA-970S-UD3P. Through searching I was only able to come up with GA-970A-UD3P. Since A & S keys are in close proximity on the keyboard, I am assuming this is a typo. Can you confirm that? 

For argument sake...

After looking at the BIOS updates for GA-970A-UD3P they have F1 (2013/08/06) and F2G (2014/10/07) updates. The notes for the F2G update says, "Update for CPU AGESA code." What is that? Well after doing some more searching and thank god for Wikipedia!

Wikipedia:

AGESA

AMD Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture (AGESA), is a bootstrap protocol by which system devices on AMD64-architecture mainboards are initialized. The AGESA software in the BIOS of such mainboards is responsible for the initialization of the processor cores, memory, and the HyperTransport controller.

That is proof of concept of how important it is to update the bios if you're having issues that just doesn't make any sense.

IE:

A motherboard that states it supports 32GB of memory and crashes with 8x2 memory for no apparent reason.

A motherboard that says it supports AMD FX cpu's, but crashes with a FX6300 and FX8300 series chips.

~Technonymous

#9 Rebel2345

Rebel2345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:05 PM

Yes it is the 970A, sorry. It is the rev 2.0 model. I will look into an bios update.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:02 AM

At least one of your shutdowns was a STOP 0x116 BSOD.

Please follow these troubleshooting suggestions:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html#post29532
Also, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

To make it work you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Rebel2345

Rebel2345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:28 PM

Well, I hate to bump an old topic, but I am having problems again.

Funny thing is, around the time of my last reply, I had went on a little vacation before starting a new job. Came back to my PC to mess with it some more and noticed that it wasn't having the problem anymore. Months have gone by without issue. Running all day, idle or gaming, no problems. 

Well, now it has come back, just within the last couple days actually. I'm so confused by this, I don't understand what could be causing it. It wants to shut down probably within an hour every time. How do I install my new products, have issues, and then all of a sudden stop and now being having it worse than before? 

I tried to get my temperatures, but speedfan didn't keep log for more than a few minutes. I ran Furmark for more than half an hour and it didn't BSOD, but when I actually get into a game (currently The Division) it BSOD in 20 minutes/an hour. I've done what I could with what I was told above, but it doesn't seem to have stopped the issue.

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:29 AM

By the sound of it it's starting to seem like a hardware issue that comes and goes. Perhaps a faulty motherboard or PSU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users