Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to create a system image onto a USB flash drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:53 PM

My friend just had her Win7 computer serviced by a local computer shop as it needed a major overhaul

Afterward she was told she could create a system image onto a 16GB flash drive and is hoping I can do that for her. (Her hard drive is 500GB and I don't know if that's a good idea in the long run.

However here are my concerns

A flash drive would normally need to be converted from FAT32 to NTFS

--- I haven't looked up yet on how to do that but I will if it makes sense to do so.

Then even if I were to do that for her, what would it take for the flash drive be bootable?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,670 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:03 PM

It would depend on how much data is currently on the 500GB drive if the 16GB drive would be sufficient. Create the System Image with Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper.

You can use Partition Wizard to convert but if there is data on the drive I would back it up.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/convertpartition/convert-fat32-to-ntfs.html

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:51 AM

Thanks JohnC_21. I was just surprised that a professional computer repair person would make that recommendation. I wonder if he meant that 16GB flash drive to be used for saving her data. Then maybe just for the OS but unless he changed the hard drive partitions the HDD was only a single partition from what I recall. I recommended she get professional help on her computer because it became so full she only had 1% free space. I won't get back onto her computer until the first week of September and see what's actually going on. Personally I believe I'll be recommending an external hard drive greater than 1TB. But you answered my question: it is possible to create a system image onto a USB flash drive,

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,670 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:34 AM

It is possible but not recommended. I would go for the external hard drive instead. Possibly the professional was thinking of Windows 8. Windows 8 can create a recovery drive (USB flash drive) that includes the OEMs factory recovery partition. This would be similar to Window's 7 System Repair Disk. In fact, on Windows 8 there is no option to create a disk, only a USB flash drive.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:00 PM

I wonder if that tech meant create a System Repair usb stick -- I "googled" my run command and got: create a system repair disc.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users