Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dism Questions

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 bitwitch

bitwitch

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:53 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516518/corrupt-cbslog-file-found-using-sfcscannow/ - Hamluis.

please can some one help me I also have same problem as original poster and I am trying as per the response on here about running the Dism but not sure if I am doing it correctly or even if it is working as I am not that techie minded maybe its my age lol but have done the Dism bit in the command prompt bit as an administrator  is this correct? if so how long does it normally take to run as it has been running well over an hr now and still cant see nothing all it says is Deployment image servicing and management tool then the version bit  then the image version bit and nothing else should there be something else ? please me nice if you respond and talk plain talk as this oap will get well and trully lost lol  thanks in advance for any and all help

Edited by hamluis, 25 August 2016 - 11:38 AM.
Split - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:24 AM

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, then press Enter.

When the DISM operation is running you will see its progress expressed in a percentage.

When the operating has completed you should see the message The operation completed successfully.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hopper15

hopper15

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:21 PM

I'm having the same issue on my Laptop.  I've done all the steps successfully. But It's been over an hour and I'm not seeing any progress expressed in a percentage under image version.

On my desktop the DISM worked flawlessly.

#4 bitwitch

bitwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:55 PM

Thank you for  your reply I done all the steps and alas  nothing the program seemed to hang so like an idiot I closed down the box and now cant get anything else to run in the command prompt as says another program is still working. done a bit of searching on web to see how to close it down and read some where about getting the is it the task list so done what they said and all it done was flash up and disapear so think if I can might have to do a system restore would have been great if the dism had worked for what I have read on here and else where thats normally the way to sort problems out but once again thank you for your help

#5 hopper15

hopper15

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:29 PM

Thank you for  your reply I done all the steps and alas  nothing the program seemed to hang so like an idiot I closed down the box and now cant get anything else to run in the command prompt as says another program is still working. done a bit of searching on web to see how to close it down and read some where about getting the is it the task list so done what they said and all it done was flash up and disapear so think if I can might have to do a system restore would have been great if the dism had worked for what I have read on here and else where thats normally the way to sort problems out but once again thank you for your help

I wouldn't give up just yet. dc3 will help you out.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:58 AM

What is the current status of the computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 hopper15

hopper15

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:51 AM

FWIW using the check disk utility helped me out. I ran a scan and It found some system errors in my (C:) Drive and I did a Repair&Restart.  After the restart I ran the DISM and it worked with no issues.

Edited by hopper15, 29 August 2016 - 10:51 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:11 AM

@hopper15

If you are going to suggest running chkdsk you should also suggest which switch should be used.  I usually will suggest chkdsk /r since it includes the functionality of /f.  Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the HDD and recovers any readable information.

To run chkdsk /r in Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste chkdsk /r in the Command Prompt, if this is a SSD you do not want to run the /r switch, you will want to use chkdsk /f then press Enter.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.  Do not stop this scan as this can damage your operating system.

When the scan is finished please download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

#9 hopper15

hopper15

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:08 PM

@hopper15

If you are going to suggest running chkdsk you should also suggest which switch should be used.  I usually will suggest chkdsk /r since it includes the functionality of /f.  Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the HDD and recovers any readable information.

To run chkdsk /r in Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste chkdsk /r in the Command Prompt, if this is a SSD you do not want to run the /r switch, you will want to use chkdsk /f then press Enter.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.  Do not stop this scan as this can damage your operating system.

When the scan is finished please download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

I restarted my system and it says scanning and repairing C drive and it's been stuck at 10 percent for a while.  Is that normal?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:04 PM

This could take a while, let it go.

#11 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

Just a quick question:

please can some one help me I also have same problem as original poster and I am trying as per the response on here about running the Dism but not sure if I am doing it correctly or even if it is working as I am not that techie minded maybe its my age lol but have done the Dism bit in the command prompt bit as an administrator  is this correct? if so how long does it normally take to run as it has been running well over an hr now and still cant see nothing all it says is Deployment image servicing and management tool then the version bit  then the image version bit and nothing else should there be something else ? please me nice if you respond and talk plain talk as this oap will get well and trully lost lol  thanks in advance for any and all help

So, you have issues with SFC reporting that you have some corrupt files?

When chkdsk finishes, lets get the logs as well:

Retrieving the CHKDSK logs

Download ListChkdskResult.exe (by SleepyDude) and save it on your Desktop.

Rightclick on ListChkdskResult.exe and select Run as administrator

If UAC warns that ListChkdskResult wants to make changes to your computer, click Yes

You should see notepad open (if not, open ListChkdskResult.txt on your Desktop)

Copy and paste this in your next reply

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#12 hopper15

hopper15

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:21 PM

Sorry I ran out of patience and did a hard reset.  I'm fortunate the hard reset didn't harm my OS and all is okay with the hardware after running multiple diagnostics tests.

#13 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:29 PM

Could you recap the problems you are facing @hopper15?

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#14 hopper15

hopper15

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

Could you recap the problems you are facing @hopper15?

I ran into some problems with the Dism until the Chkdsk repaired some system errors. I'm okay for now.

#15 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for the update! :)

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users