Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Download Correctly From Internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eneco

eneco

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:20 PM

I just assembled this computer from scratch for the first time a few weeks ago. I had some problems and ended up reinstalling XP home about 1 week ago. I had several internet setup and then connection problems, however those seem to be fixed now (i'm using DSL). One of my only remaining problems is that I've been having a lot of trouble trying to download and install various things. Often the programs say that some of the setup files are corrupted when I try and run the setups. Also, I'm using IE7 beta 3 mainly, though i've tried it on Firefox and i've had the same problem. I also have the free version of Zonealarm, though i've tried downloading with that both active and shut off and it didn't make a difference. The thing is, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. An example is when I was trying to download and install this java applet
http://java.com/en/download/windows_ie.jsp
in order to run a speed test on my internet connection. I tried the manual installation several ways, and the automatic one. Windows installer comes up. User agreement comes up--accept. Then when it started downloading the files after a few seconds a message would come up that said something like
Error 1305. *some file* was corrupted or something
I retried about 15 times and it never worked, though I just tried again right before posting this, and it worked! So it almost seems kind of temperamental.
Thanks for any help :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:58 AM

Error Message when you try to install programs on a computer running Win 2000 or Win XP.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824894/en-us
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 eneco

eneco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the link, I tried following the steps it gave me, but I don't think I really ended up changing much in the end. I haven't tested it though--I'll have to do that. But again, thanks for the help, I'll see if it worked.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:54 PM

Your Welcome!
Please feel free to post any further Error Messages if you get them when you test this out.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 eneco

eneco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

I just tried downloading ewido (anti-malware program), and I got another problem which I've also had several times before. The download goes smoothly, but then when I try to run the program, and box comes up which says

internet explorer--security warning
windows has found a problem with this file
Name: ewido-setup_4.0.0.172c.exe
Publisher: Unknown Publisher
This file was blocked because it does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher. What is a digital signature? (with a link)

That was the message exacly (except for the "with a link" part). I tried it with and withough zonealarm enabled. Any ideas? Do I have to lower my security or something (it's on the default) or is this just something you have to deal with?
thanks

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:29 PM

Here is something from the M$ forum for you to try,same problem.

Try downloading the program again then save it in another location then
proceed in running/installing it again. If no luck, add it to the list of low risk files:
Start the Group Policy Editor (Start>Run then type gpedit.msc and press OK).
Go to User Configuration>AdministrativeTemplates>Windows
Components>Attachment Manager then configure "Inclusion list for low file
types" to
Enable and enter the file types you don't want to be warned about in the
box (for example: .exe, gif, bmp).Close the Group Policy Editor then try to run again the file application.
If successful and done, you might want to undo the changes you made in the
Group Policy Editor to help protect the system.

Or try downloading it using another browser like Firefox,and just make sure that you download the file from the correct and trusted source.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users