Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU usage by SVCHOST.EXE

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 genel41

genel41

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:17 AM

I have this problem of High CPU usage mainly by Svchost.exe it will eventually shut it down. I ran all kinds of antivirus , malware found very little the last program was the ADWcleaner that found 71 infections at first  that seamed to help. But it still has high CPU usage sometimes close to 100% . So far it has not caused a total failure PC crash . The biggest problem is that when you click on to something it takes a while to come up with what you clicked onto and when you check yes the CPU is high . It is rarely below 70%. Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks Genel41

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:23 AM

Hello Gene

We should get a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:56 AM

- Is CPU usage already (VERY) high before you start any program ? Or does opening a program push CPU through the roof ?

- It could be that "Windows Update" problem that's plagueing A LOT OF Win 7 users.

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4799.0.html

#4 genel41

genel41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:43 PM

Sitting idle  it has 0% Cpu but at same time it has 67 process going at same time . I did find the "Wuauserv". and there was no Svchost.exe in there . The last program I ran was the ADWcleaner and found 71 problems . And I before I ran it some the Svchost files had very high numbers in there and now there don't seem to be any Svchost . It has not crash with the blue then black screen but it has this problem when I click onto something it take way to long before it actually does it .30 seconds or more some times.  It sounds like the Svchost is not my problem now . I just clicked on to this site again and it jumped to 3% then dropped back to % . I will notice in future when I am having the hanging see if I can find what is causing it .  I just noticed I have 4 Ienternet.exe going at the same time and the cpu is range of 8%to 0% . You guys are the best of help . This PC about 4 years ago I paid about $400 for this computer and I have just spent about 400 on this trying to fix it two different repair places hopefully this is the end of it .Thanks

Edited by genel41, 25 August 2016 - 03:01 PM.

#5 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

- Not so fast. When the user opens Task Manager then no process "Svchost.exe" should be visible. But when the user lets Task Manager show processes of all users then there should be 12 processes called "Svchost.exe" (At least I have on my Win 7 system).

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:41 PM

it seems that you have decided not to follow the suggestion by Boopme in Post #2.

I suggest that you reconsider his remarks.

Louis

#7 genel41

genel41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:12 PM

Am I suppose to be using the same window to add to my talking about this ?  Well it shows 3    Ienternet.exe  in the process and it shows about 341,000 , one 255,000 , and one at 34,000 above these numbers at top it says memory p I don't exactly know what this means . would it be better if I ended the process on them?

#8 genel41

genel41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

it seems that you have decided not to follow the suggestion by Boopme in Post #2.

Louis

Louis

Well so far he seems to know more than I do about my problem .

#9 genel41

genel41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:22 PM

Am I suppose to be using the same window to add to my talking about this ?  Well it shows 3    Ienternet.exe  in the process and it shows about 341,000 , one 255,000 , and one at 34,000 above these numbers at top it says memory p I don't exactly know what this means . would it be better if I ended the process on them?

Well I don't have any seem Svchost.exe  but I had 4 IE pages open and one I was using was showing 577,000 and the CPU was showing 100%  so I  just watched for minute or so and it slowly went down . I think these big numbers in IE  is the problem now . I was only looking at a page from one of the members about cleaning my desk top PC of dust .Can I get rid of these big numbers ?

#10 genel41

genel41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:16 PM

- Not so fast. When the user opens Task Manager then no process "Svchost.exe" should be visible. But when the user lets Task Manager show processes of all users then there should be 12 processes called "Svchost.exe" (At least I have on my Win 7 system).

I don't seem to have any Svchost.exe running on my PC at the present time .

#11 genel41

genel41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:26 PM

Ok I was looking at the task manager and I seen at lower left it showed show process from all users I clicked on and there were at least 12 Svchost so I will be watching how much they use . Thanks

#12 johncgilliland

johncgilliland

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:23 AM

If you would like to see what is running under svchost.exe and using the cpu you can use sysinternals Process Explorer.  

1.  Download using Google to find.  

2.  Open Task Manager and Select Performance tab

3.  Click resource monitor button at the bottom

4.  This will provide list of items using CPU.  Locate svchost instance that is using the highest amount of cpu (number in that column) and note is PID (number in that column)

5.  Run Process Explorer

6.  locate your PID using that column and highlight that row

7.  right click and select properties. 

8.  from the properties window you can use the Services tab and the Threads tab to identify exactly what is using the cpu (under svchost's container).

3.  Locate svchost

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:47 AM

Process Explorer v16.12
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 genel41

genel41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:31 PM

If you would like to see what is running under svchost.exe and using the cpu you can use sysinternals Process Explorer.  

4.  This will provide list of items using CPU.  Locate svchost instance that is using the highest amount of cpu (number in that column) and note is PID (number in that column)

5.  Run Process Explorer

8.  from the properties window you can use the Services tab and the Threads tab to identify exactly what is using the cpu (under svchost's container).

3.  Locate svchost

5.  Run Process Explorer

3.  Locate svchost

#15 genel41

genel41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:42 PM

5.  Run Process Explorer

3.  Locate svchost

5.  Run Process Explorer

3.  Locate svchost

It seems as though it is explorer is the biggest user now . It used to be Svchost but there was some adware in there. In Task manager just looked and under memory at top a svchost showed b181000 but on same page explorer is showing 1,500,000 in just short time . I have been shut down several times today by explorer it comes right back.

I got the monitor up but cannot do the right click see properties .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users