Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 Black screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Feint

Feint

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:02 AM

Hello Guys,

Since recently I am having the problem where I am gaming and my screens just go black out of nowhere. I can't do anything, nothing responds, fans go full speed etc. Only way to fix this is to do a manual reboot by using the button.

Steps I have done so far to find the problem:

- Check heating -> Stable at 40-50 degrees C with GPU going as high as 78

- Cleaned NVidia Drivers using DDU and reinstalled the newest

- Checked Event Viewer for logs related to the time of crash -> Nothing pops out as far as I can tell (had Nvidia log errors but after the driver update these were gone)

- Stresstested my CPU and GPU to try and trigger the problem using Furmark, Cinebench and prime95 -> All goes fine with these tests

- Ran a memory check -> Ok

- Ran a virus check -> unlikely but you never know, was clean.

- Updated my system with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

My System:

- Intel I5 6600k running at base clock @ 3.5 Watercooled using Corsair H110I GT

- MSI Z170A motherboard

- 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4

- Nvidia GTX 780 Asus DirectCU II OC @ base clock

- Samsung SSD EVO 840

This system ran stable for well over 6 months.

I am running out of things to check here so I was wondering if you guys can help me out? I added the sysnativeFileCollection ZIP but I could not get the perfmon working as it just kept running for long while.

If you need any more information, feel free to ask and I will see what I can do.

Thanks in Advance,

Feint

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:00 AM

Set a System Restore Point while the system is running OK.

That way you'll have it if you can't boot to WIndows.

Wait until the next time it turns black, then recover and immediately generate this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

To make it work you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Feint

Feint
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:37 AM

Happened again this morning.

I uploaded the event logs and the speedfan logs to WeTransfer: https://we.tl/810UHNmvEX

I see the nvlddmkm errors have returned. These don't always show up if the crash happens. Sometimes the event viewer just shows the unwanted reboot and that's it (see 8/27/2016 at 9:32 or 8/26/2016 at 10:35).

Edited by Feint, 28 August 2016 - 03:42 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:09 AM

OK, the first thing here is a statement about black screen errors.
Most often they are not fixable, and the owner resorts to wiping the hard drive and reinstalling Windows because of this.

At work we try a System Restore point, and if that doesn't work then we wipe and reinstall Windows.

I have myself spent weeks troubleshooting these errors (at work and online), until finally giving up.

I will continue to offer suggestions until I'm out of ideas, then I'll suggest a wipe and reinstall (backup your stuff first)

My most common suggestion is to search the web for terms like "black screen error" or "KSOD".

I also suggest System Restore - as that's the most reliable "fix" that I know of.

That being said, here's what I have so far:

- the temps appear to be within normal ranges

- the Admin log shows 3 things of concern, nVidia driver errors repeated VL activation failures, and Application Popup errors

The nVidia errors tend to happen at the same time as the "Critical"  Event ID 41 errors.

This error occurs after the system has rebooted, so it's not the cause, but rather it's an error that occurs on boot.

The Volume Activation error occurs fairly regularly, just before the "Critical" Event ID 41 errors, but there are sometimes other errors after it, but before the "Critical" errors.

The Application Popup errors may be more regular than the VL Activation errors, and may occur closer to the shutdowns (so they are more likely to be involved in the black screen events.  They seem to be related to winsrv.dll

So, in short, I have 2 suggestions:

- run "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" and "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes) from an elevated (Run as Administrator) Command Prompt

- try another video card - as the stress tests don't always test the entire card (and you've already removed/reinstalled the drivers and have run stress tests).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Feint

Feint
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:36 AM

Thanks for your suggestions, I will try them out.

I figured this problem was probably a hard one to figure out because of all the factors that can cause it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users