Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden AWFUL Performance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Borislav_Pixely

Borislav_Pixely

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:46 AM

I am sorry if this is not the correct forum I should've posted this but I don't believe this is a hardware issue and I really don't feel like reinstalling Windows and formatting because I've done this many times due to Windows 10 having many issues and I've lost and reinstalled my programs one too many times. :(

PROBLEM:

Usually I can figure these things out on my own, but right now I have no idea what is causing my problem. I am having low FPS even in games like League of Legends, where uncapped it would stay at around 180 and then randomly for a minute go down to 40. Now, 40 is not a bad number, but when it goes down like that it seriously stutters the whole time to the point where it's unplayable. Games like The Crew, which is rather heavy and ran fine before on 30 FPS now barely runs with 15 all the time. Basically, I know that my laptop can do much better because it did, but only the last few days has it performed awfully on every game. The most intriguing thing is that it's not overheating like many would assume. I've played heavy games at really high temperatures like 95 C without a problem. Now, amazingly, I'm having problems at 82 C (GPU) and 88 C (CPU) while playing The Crew - getting only 15 FPS.

As you can see, super low temperatures in comparison to what I had before yet low FPS..

RECENT CHANGES:

Installed Windows 10 anniversary update more than a week ago.

(Problem did not start immediately after the update.)

THINGS TRIED:

Updated all my drivers (Audio, Intel GPU and Nvidia GPU drivers are the absolute latest).

Cleaned dust inside fan.

Cleaned Windows using programs like CCleaner.

Scanned for viruses using Windows Defender.

SPECS:

Lenovo Ideapad Y510P

Two years old / Resolution: 1366x768p

Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Intel Core i7-4700MQ @ 2.40 GHz

Nvidia GeForce GT755M 2 GB

8 GB RAM 1 TB SSHD

PerformanceTest PassMark Rating: 1800

This picture is a comparison between the graphics test now from a year ago. It seems nothing has changed yet my laptop just refuses to work when I start any game.

Edited by Borislav_Pixely, 25 August 2016 - 10:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:01 AM

I'm not sure this is your problem but Nvidia came out with a driver update for Windows 10 Anniversary Update for the 755M. Check your driver version.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/105853/en-us

#3 Borislav_Pixely

Borislav_Pixely
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:06 AM

Thank you for helping, however I already updated to this driver when I saw it yesterday. I just checked - 372.54.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:31 AM

Do you have any other security software other than Defender? You may want to do a clean boot. If that helps then start enabling startup and services until the problem occurs. 

#5 Borislav_Pixely

Borislav_Pixely
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:37 AM

Nope, I don't have any other security software. I will try your suggestion! Thanks :)

#6 Borislav_Pixely

Borislav_Pixely
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:01 AM

Do you have any other security software other than Defender? You may want to do a clean boot. If that helps then start enabling startup and services until the problem occurs. 

It worked!

I've been playing The Crew for the past 15 minutes without a hiccup! Now I just need to figure out what software/service was causing this :/

I also noticed CPU usage went down a lot, it was constantly at 80% before.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:37 PM

I'm not too familiar with Windows 10 but if  you open Task Manager while the CPU is at 80% click on the Resource Monitor button. Under the CPU tab look for the process that is using all your CPU. Check the box next to the process and in the bottom pane you will see the service that is tied to that process. It may help find the problem.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 August 2016 - 12:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users