Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preparing Automatic Repair shows on Gateway Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fred04

fred04

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:24 AM

On start up in Windows 8, I get this message "Preparing Automatic Repair" which stays for a while, then the screen goes blank

and cycles itself through the process. I am unable to get past this screen and cannot enter the computer. Not sure if there is a way to enter via the Safe Mode as I do not know how to get there. The Gateway laptop never came with any recovery media and only utilizes USB ports as there is no access for a CD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:55 AM

Safe Mode: http://www.digitalcitizen.life/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-81

Recovery media (for US only):  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html#gateway

Try these free bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 fred04

fred04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:56 AM

I downloaded Emsisoft Emergency Rescue to a USB stick in order to reboot the computer. I tried to put the computer in boot mode by pressing

the F10 key and tried the F12 key as well after pressing the power button. I have tried various combinations of keys to allow the USB drive to boot the computer, but to no avail the computer would not boot off of the USB drive. It reverts to "Preparing Automatic Repair" which stays for a while, then the screen goes blank

and cycles itself through the process. Is there a way to get a way to get the computer to boot off of this USB drive or get into BIOS mode or the safe mode?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:02 AM

Try F2 to get into the BIOS and adjust the boot settings there.

As I recall, some Gateway's used to disable the boot menu (so you'd have to enable it in the UEFI).

There may be difficulties in booting from USB due to the UEFI (which means that you may have to change some settings in there).

I'm not real good with these settings, but they involve disabling Secure Boot and enableing CSM or Legacy mode.

I'd look for specific instructions over at Gateway support for your model.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 fred04

fred04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

I was able to get into the boot menu by pressing the on-button and by tapping on the F2 key repeatedly until the boot menu appeared in BIOS.

If anyone know how to make UEFI changes and disable Secure Boot in BIOS would be appreciated. 

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:43 AM

I'd suggest posting in the W10 forums or the Internal Hardware forums for more help with this.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users