Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got a real problem here

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 streetlaw

streetlaw

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:00 AM

I've got a Samsung laptop running windows 10 that today decided to get EXTREMELY slow and unresponsive, I mean so slow that it takes 10 minutes to respond to anything I do, if I try to open up the file browser, it opens after an eternity then freezes and says not responding. This has happened before and I had to completely reinstall the OS to get it right again, now after a couple of months it's doing it again. It did say in the notifications area before to restart computer so it can repair drive, I did that, and during boot for about 2 seconds it said scanning and repairing drive, then restarted boot again and booted right up, I logged in, and it was still behaving in the same way.

I really don't want to reinstall the OS again because I have too many valuable files on it.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 streetlaw

streetlaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:16 AM

Another thing is, in task manager it says 100% of the disk is being used, it only says that at the top which is why i cant tell what is using that 100% up

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:05 AM

I think I'd boot to the command prompt and run CHKDSK.  It sounds like you've got some bad sectors on that drive.  What is the make and age of that drive?  If you can't boot to the command prompt, you could boot up Linux Mint; it has a user interface very similar to Windows.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:37 AM

I think I'd boot to the command prompt and run CHKDSK.  It sounds like you've got some bad sectors on that drive.  What is the make and age of that drive?  If you can't boot to the command prompt, you could boot up Linux Mint; it has a user interface very similar to Windows.

Good luck.

Make sure you backup your data before chkdsk!

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:38 AM

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 streetlaw

streetlaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:27 AM

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Sorry about the delayed response, the computer has got a little bit faster, enough to run the SeaTools software. I ran it, and it said failed.

Here's the log:    --------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.4.0.4 ---------------
28/08/2016 1:19:07 AM
Model Number: ST750LM022 HN-M750MBB
Serial Number: S2RRJ9DCB06518
Firmware Revision: 2AR10002
Long Generic - Started 28/08/2016 1:19:07 AM
Long Generic - FAIL 28/08/2016 1:20:24 AM
SeaTools Test Code: 6C9AC2A4

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:29 AM

Ok, I would copy very carefully your files onto a flash drive and replace the drive.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:08 AM

That's what I had suspected from what you posted.  At least now you know what the problem is.  Now it's time to recovery your important data.

If you can still access the data which you wish to save, transfer it to removable media such as an external hdd, Cloud storage, flash drive, DVDs, etc.

You can right click on files you wish to save and choose Send to, choose the removable media you wish to use to transfer the data.

If you can not access the data you may be able to retrieve it with the use of a Linux distro like Ubuntu.

Recovering Data with Ubuntu

Please download Ubuntu, you will need to burn this to a disc in order to make a bootable disc.  

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS to make the CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order, and the hdd the second device.

At HowToGeek there is a good tutorial for using Ubuntu to recover data from a hdd.

Edited by dc3, 27 August 2016 - 09:13 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 streetlaw

streetlaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:17 AM

I did a scan of the drive with Partition Guru and it said it has bad sectors, I then read up on bad sectors about how they can be physical which cannot be repaired and virtual which can be repaired. So how can I find out which it is, and repair?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:32 AM

SeaTools and PartitionGuru both scan for bad physical sectors.  A hdd will find bad sectors and attempt to move (remap) the data to a new sector if the information is readable.  But bad sectors are basically dead spots on the hdd.  Both of these programs found enough bad sectors that they deemed that the hdd had failed the health test.  Chksdsk /r will scan for readable information in bad sectors and will move that data to another good sector.  But if the number is too high and is still rising it's time to get another drive.

#11 streetlaw

streetlaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:50 AM

SeaTools and PartitionGuru both scan for bad physical sectors.  A hdd will find bad sectors and attempt to move (remap) the data to a new sector if the information is readable.  But bad sectors are basically dead spots on the hdd.  Both of these programs found enough bad sectors that they deemed that the hdd had failed the health test.  Chksdsk /r will scan for readable information in bad sectors and will move that data to another good sector.  But if the number is too high and is still rising it's time to get another drive.

I think the number of bad sectors it said there were was 120 something, is that too high? I seem to recall it was about the same last time I scanned the drive, so I wouldn't say the number is rising.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:05 AM

Yes, 120 is too high.

Please do the following so I can see more information regarding the S.M.A.R.T. attributes of your hdd.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users