Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to Internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wixerzp

wixerzp

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:54 AM

Hello I am using Windows 98 (nostalgia reasons) and I can't for get the internet working. My motherboard has a built-in ethernet adapter called Realtek RTL 8139/810X. I successfully installed the drivers for it and in the device manager it says "this device is working properly". When I connect the cable from my router the light on the adapter lights up. Then I set up a static IP, and yes I set the TCP/IP to the adapter in network options. And I still can't connect to the internet. What do I do?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 August 2016 - 08:22 AM.
moved from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:34 PM

What static IP info are you using for the adapter? Also, how is the router configured IP wise that the adapter is connected to?

Next, can you ping the router from the computer? If so, can you ping 8.8.8.8?

Finally, what browser are you using and what error do you get? As per here, Seamonkey seems to be the best.

#3 wixerzp

wixerzp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:55 AM

What static IP info are you using for the adapter? Also, how is the router configured IP wise that the adapter is connected to?

Next, can you ping the router from the computer? If so, can you ping 8.8.8.8?

Finally, what browser are you using and what error do you get? As per here, Seamonkey seems to be the best.

Hello, for the static IP I followed this guide : http://portforward.com/networking/static-98.htm

I didn't really configure anyting with the router, cause I don't know how to. I just plugged in the cable into the win98 machine that was previously plugged into my laptop and it worked fine.

I pinged 8.8.8.8, and it just said request timed out.

I use the default browser, I think it's IE6? It just says "finding site : www.msn.com" and loads something, and when the something loads, it just says : This page cannot be displayed. Same for other websites.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:24 PM

What IP info did you get when you did a IPconfig /all at step 2 of the guide?

Also, can you ping the router?

#5 wixerzp

wixerzp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:08 AM

What IP info did you get when you did a IPconfig /all at step 2 of the guide?

Also, can you ping the router?

What do you mean what IP info did I get? Do you want me to write the info? I don't think I should do that. If you mean what kind of info did I get, I got the IP, subnet mask, default gateway and two name servers (those I got from my router interface).

I pinged my router and got this : (x is my IP)
Pinging x with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from x: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for x:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

EDIT : I pinged my router from my computer that has working internet, did you mean ping the router from my win98 machine?

Edited by wixerzp, 27 August 2016 - 04:09 AM.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:26 AM

I don't think we are on the same page. I don't see why you can't post what IP info you are using. I am going to have to bow out. Maybe someone else will be able to help explain better.

#7 wixerzp

wixerzp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:07 AM

I probably know what is the problem. There is a weird situation with the drivers. My motherboard is a U8668-D and version 7.0, it say so on the motherboard. I realised that this mobo has a VIA VT6103, not a RTL 8139.  I somehow installed RTL 8139 drivers, and it worked. I think I downloaded those drivers from here http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=u8668. As you can see this is the u8668, not the u8668-d.  For some reason now it says that the LAN adapter is  RTL 8100B, not a RTL 8139.  I uninstalled the RTL 8139 and tried installing the VIA VT6103 drivers from here http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdownloads.asp?model=U8668 D, but it said "Cannot find proper NIC, press OK to continue.  Then I found another biostar site http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=245 Here you can select the version of the motherboard, but 7.0 is not listed! This is definitely a problem with the drivers. I don't know where to download proper drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users