Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shortcut problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 4361

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:56 AM

For a while now I have been having a reoccurring problem. I use windows 7 32bit and my browser is google chrome. Everything is fine then one day, one of my shortcuts will suddenly open google chrome instead of its own program. Then another will do it then pretty soon all shortcuts open google. It has been suggested that it is a virus but Malwarebytes or antivirus can find any. It even started doing it within a couple of days of renewing the entire windows 7. Anyone else had this prob and fixed it please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johncgilliland

johncgilliland

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:19 AM

This definitely sounds like malware.  I recommend running FRST per instructions here and opening a ticket in the other forum.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

this is the preparation guide for the help forum where someone qualified can assist you.

thanks,

John

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:09 PM

This definitely sounds like malware.  I recommend running FRST per instructions here and opening a ticket in the other forum.

this is the preparation guide for the help forum where someone qualified can assist you.

thanks,
John

It is not necessary to start a new topic in Malware Removal Logs at this time.

You can be helped here in Am I Infected. There are well qualified members who will help you in this topic. One of them will guide you through the process using tools allowed in Am I Infected.

If more advanced tools are needed the helper will recommend that you follow the MRL prep guide and post requested logs in MRL.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 August 2016 - 06:19 PM.

#4 4361

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:44 PM

This definitely sounds like malware.  I recommend running FRST per instructions here and opening a ticket in the other forum.

thanks,
John

It is not necessary to start a new topic in Malware Removal Logs at this time.

You can be helped here in Am I Infected. There are well qualified members who will help you in this topic. One of them will guide you through the process using tools allowed in Am I Infected.

If more advanced tools are needed the helper will recommend that you follow the MRL prep guide and post requested logs in MRL.

I'm not sure how to work this site but I just want to thank you all for your advice. I am now cured. This time, for reasons unknown to me, I think it was Malwarebytes that found it so you were all right. It was a virus. Thanks again for all your help. If I am not using the site correctly for my reply, well that's me all over. Cheers!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 August 2016 - 07:28 PM.
merged posts.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:31 PM

You are doing fine here. If you have any questions about Bleeping Computer ask them here BleepingComputer Announcements, Comments, & Suggestions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users