Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New replacement power adapter having issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:26 AM

I have an older 3.5 HDD enclosure that uses a 5 pin serial power plug.  When the power adapter wasn't working well anymore (it started making loud ticking noises), I purchased a new one off ebay.

I just got it now, plugged it into the power socket and the little green light appears on the power adapter but as soon as I plug the 5 pin serial into my external HDD, the green light goes off and the HDD has no power to turn on.

I noticed the specs on both the original power adapter and the new one I got.  It appears all to be the same except one part:  the new one says 0.85A max and the original one has 1A.   Is that the reason why the new power adapter doesn't provide any power to my external HDD?

Here are the exact specs of both:  the left one is the new power adapter, the right is the original that no longer is working.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:23 AM

Hi

Possibilities that come to mind are

1. Both have 5 pin plugs that are wired differently

2. Defective Power Adapter

3. Defective 3.5 HDD enclosure that has a short in it.

Several checks You can try, Open the enclosure if possible and unplug the drive and test to see if the problem persists, I have seen Hard Drives that shorted the power when connected.

Contact Seller for a Warranty Power Supply.

If You leave the old Power supply unplugged does it then power up and stop the noise?

When You say "When the power adapter wasn't working well anymore (it started making loud ticking noises)" Does that mean the drive still powered up and worked? If so then Either problem 1 or 2 as listed above. If it stopped working then any of the three apply

FWIW according to Your Image both Power supplies supply 2 amps on the 5 volt line and the 12 volt line.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 26 August 2016 - 09:25 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:41 AM

thanks for your reply!  I had contacted the ebay seller and he just gave me a refund.

I have given up on this hdd enclosure.  i won't bother to try another one out.  I'll just remove the hd and make sure it's still working.

Yes, the old power adapter would make loud clicking noises but the hdd still loaded and worked.

i just stopped using it because i was worried it might fry or damage my hdd if the power supply is crapping or sending dirty power or something.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:39 PM

Hi

I'm glad that all is well that way. Enclosures for external drives are pretty these days if You wanted to replace the entire case.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users