Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows 7 Home Premium OEM on a new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rumpled103

rumpled103

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:00 AM

Ok, so I have a computer that came pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Now I was trying to backup the computer using Acronis True Image, but during the beginning of that, it gave me a lot of sector errors, so I just chose to ignore all of them. The backup operation completed after an hour or so. Now, I was told that I may have to do chkdsk /r, it will try to fix the bad sectors as well as any errors. But I might end up losing all my data. I was also directed to an Acer website from the UK with a hard disk checker. It also reported bad sectors and gave me the option to repair them. I chose no. Here's the link: http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11... Now, I am thinking about getting a new 1 TB hard drive, my current one is 640 GB and made by WD. Now I have an .iso file for Win 7 Home Premium which I got from getintopc. And I would need to be able to install Windows on the new hard drive. But I don't wanna do that because I'm afraid it'll be detected as a new computer and it'll see that I still have an activated Windows on the old hard drive, thereform not allowing me to activate Windows on the new hard drive. So how do I go about uninstalling Windows on the old hard drive and reinstalling and activating it on the new one? Do I need to format the old hard drive?

Edit: Sorry if you see any typos, I was on my phone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:44 AM

I would concentrate on backing up your personal data on the original drive to an external drive. I would not recommend you clone a drive with bad sectors to a new drive unless absolutely necessary and after all data is backed up.

You can purchase install media from Acer or if you know a person with the same version of Windows 7 who has a install disk you can use the key on the COA sticker to install and then do a phone activation.  Of course you would need to reinstall all of your programs and also any drivers needed. The Acer install media would have all your necessary drivers and would also pre-activate after install.

Here is the customer support page of Acer

Can you still boot the original drive?  If you can then I would recommend you back up your activation files using Advanced Token Manager. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop and run it. Press the Activation Backup button. It will store your activation files in a subfolder. Copy the unzipped folder of Token Manager to a flash drive. This would allow you to activate your computer without phone activation if you can obtain install media or an iso of Windows 7 from someone.

And yes, you can lose your data on a drive using chkdsk if the file system is corrupted? I would avoid using chkdsk until you have backed up all your data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users