Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what file do I need to open SKP file ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 genel41

genel41

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:01 PM

I downloaded Pot Player and it did not open it. I don't know if it is a video . It has something with woodworking . I am a woodworker and I downloaded some files and most were PDF .

Well I downloaded Sketchup but I tried to use word pad and every time I try to open it word pad comes up first . I don't know how to keep word pad from try doing it first .

Edited by hamluis, 25 August 2016 - 10:30 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Graphics Design - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:37 PM

What is a skp file and how do I open a skp file?

A file with the SKP extension is a three-dimensional model created by SketchUp software. It allows conceptual designs to be created, viewed and shared quickly and easily. Models created with SketchUp can placed within Google Earth or shared using the 3D Warehouse feature.

There are skp viewers. But I have no experience with them. Nor know which ones are safe and malware free.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:41 PM

SketchUp makes a Viewer.

http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-viewer

#4 johncgilliland

johncgilliland

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:23 AM

To change which program opens the file, meaning to stop if from opening in wordpad.  you will need to:

1.  right click on the file in explorer and mouse over the "Open With" item

2.  check list and see if sketchup is an option, in which case use mouse to select that choice.

3.  if not then choose bottom item that says "Choose Default Program"

4. Use the dialog that opens to select the sketchup exe from "Browse"

jg

#5 genel41

genel41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:02 PM

What is a skp file and how do I open a skp file?

A file with the SKP extension is a three-dimensional model created by SketchUp software. It allows conceptual designs to be created, viewed and shared quickly and easily. Models created with SketchUp can placed within Google Earth or shared using the 3D Warehouse feature.

There are skp viewers. But I have no experience with them. Nor know which ones are safe and malware free.

Yes it opens but it is in Chinese

#6 genel41

genel41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:05 PM

Yes  Sketchup opens it but in Chinese I cannot read Chinese

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:53 AM

Yes  Sketchup opens it but in Chinese I cannot read Chinese

Can you cut and paste into Google Translate?

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:46 AM

Skp is sketchup, a 3d modelling program. used to be from google, now maintained by a company called trimble. A free and paid version both exist. It is commonly used to plan woodworking alongside other things. This link should be safe http://www.sketchup.com/ but I've never used any of the newer versions, I just have an old version from years ago installed on my system. Sketchup files will open up as 3d models you can navigate, not as text, so I'm not sure how it could appear in chinese, unless you tried to open it in a text editor in which case weird characters may well be shown. Try going for the full program (the free one) not just the viewer. Is there any reason to think the source you downloaded the file from would have been written in chinese? Because I can think of no other reason the file should open in chinese other than if it was made in chinese by someone using sketchup set up in the chinese language.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users