Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Way to approach possible infected external USB

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:21 PM

Hey guys I just wanted to know what i should be using to protect my clean machine against a possible infection from a USB drive I need to scan that was on an infected machine. 

I was thinking of running AVAST and Malwarebytes but before that i wanted to know if there is anything that really works to protect my system.

Do you guys suggest Panda USB vaccine or anything like that?

Edited by ZeroSkillet, 24 August 2016 - 07:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:10 PM

Some viruses can auto run a macro and drop a payload. So you probably should boot into a live cd of linux and then run a barrage of scans on it. If not and you're on Windows crank up the UAC to highest level. Put in the usb stick and close out the auto start or cancel/NO on the UAC popup. Then right-click the USB drive and choose scan. Most virus suite's will have a right-click feature to scan a file or drive. If not open the virus scanner and scan it from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users