Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connections

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 freakn_style

freakn_style

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:16 AM

It was long time to reformat my hard drive. After this was finished, no problems, I of course had to setup my Internet connection to install Windows Updates, etc. I installed the software for my wireless adapter, and the drivers I got a connection from the router on this computer (the family computer) obviously. What did happen was that my Internet Explorer and any other internet related programs would not work, even though I had a connection. I couldn't set my Explorer to read my connection, and I'm not quite sure how to solve this. I don't mess around with my Internet. When I open Explorer I'm getting messages like "this webpage is not available offline "connect" or "work offline" " and when I click connect I get the "no internet connection is available". I repeat, I have a connection, but Internet Explorer or Windows Messenger won't use it.

(This computer, with router on it)
Posted Image

(My computer, receiving the signal)
Posted Image
(The red text says, Right clicked, clicked status, this window was brought up and I clicked the support tab)

Edited by freakn_style, 17 August 2006 - 11:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zerorelation

zerorelation

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:30 PM

Something doesn't look right with those two..
One has an IP address in the 169.254.xxx and the other is in the 192.168.xxx, and they have different subnet masks. How is the computer (top screenshot) connected to the router?

the 169.254.xxx.xxx usually indicates that something is funky with the DCHP on the router, or something similar. It is bascially the NIC giving itself an IP address because it can't get one from the server (router in your case). What type of router do you have?

Edited by zerorelation, 17 August 2006 - 02:34 PM.

#3 freakn_style

freakn_style
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:22 PM

Something doesn't look right with those two..
One has an IP address in the 169.254.xxx and the other is in the 192.168.xxx, and they have different subnet masks. How is the computer (top screenshot) connected to the router?

the 169.254.xxx.xxx usually indicates that something is funky with the DCHP on the router, or something similar. It is bascially the NIC giving itself an IP address because it can't get one from the server (router in your case). What type of router do you have?

Trendnet, and rj-45 cable to one of the Lan ports, another one from the wan to the modom, phone cable from modem to wall. But I have had a working connection from this setup before? I just can't remember how..

#4 zerorelation

zerorelation

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:29 PM

Does the computer that's hooked up to the router by that rj-45 cable have any issues? Or is it just the wireless computer?

#5 freakn_style

freakn_style
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:31 PM

I'm not sure what you mean, but i just found out my computer (the one that is the problem) has no default gateway?

#6 zerorelation

zerorelation

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:11 PM

I just wanted to confirm that the computer that was hooked up directly to the router with the cable can still use the internet. Judging by your response, it is.

I'm thinking you need to set up some of the settings in the router, which will vary with the model of the device. I'm off for the night, but I'll help as needed in the morning.

There is some useful info over at:
http://www.trendnet.com/kb/

I'll check in again in the morning!

#7 freakn_style

freakn_style
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:29 AM

Well I tried one thing, I went to ipconfig on this computer found the number for the default gate way and filled the blank spot(I didn't have a gateway before:S)on my computer with the same number. Still no luck.

I feel like a noob...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users