Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloned Replacement Harddrive - 700 Gigs of Unallocated Space - How to Utilize

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OracleofMN

OracleofMN

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:42 PM

SPECS:

Lenovo T450s

Windows 10

Samsung 850EVO

Hi Everyone, I use Macrium Reflect to clone my 256gb hard drive on a new 1tb hard drive. The cloning and physical install went smoothly but now I have almost 700 gigis on unallocated space. My C: drive is showing as if it is still near capacity so I need to figure out how to utilize my new disk space.

After upgrading my Harddrive I am left with this: 

SEE IMAGE 1

My question is how do I add this unallocated portion to my C: drive? Here is what I've tried so far:

1. Using Disk Management I have tried to right click on the unallocated drive to create a new Simple Volume. I get this error message. 

SEE IMAGE 2

If I click Yes then I get this....

SEE IMAGE 3

Not sure what to do with this?

2. The second thing I tried after searching the internet was to Downloaded MiniTool Partition Manager, right click on the drive and choose "Create" I get this message: 

SEE IMAGE 4

Then I try to make one of the primary drives a "Logical" drive (whatever that means) in an attempt to free up a MBR slot and I cannot convert the "blank" 7gig drive so some reason. 

SEE IMAGE 5

Then I tried to convert the Lenovo Recovery. I am able to change it to a Logical Drive but then still can't create a volume from my 700 gig drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 25 August 2016 - 10:42 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Backup/Imaging/Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:17 PM

I believe you will have to re-image it.

I ran into this same problem. You can't expand your "Main Volume" to the extra unused space unless they are next to each other. I am not aware of a program that can make it so you can acquire that unused space without changing the partition order.

You used Macrium? Just make sure the extra unused space is next to the Windows7_OS parition in the Macrium window when you set up the image procedure.

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:19 PM

I just remembered that you changed the Lenovo_Recovery partition. That is not a good idea. Recently computers stopped with the recovery discs and just went with a recovery partition. If you lose that partition you may completely lose your ability to reinstall/recover Windows. If something happens you may be forced to purchase another copy of Windows or an overpriced recovery disc from Lenovo.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:27 PM

You're running into that MBR issue because you have a 4 primary partition limitation. I am not sure why you have that 7GB partition there and what it's being used for. If you want to use the rest of the drive, you want to click on the 7GB partition and choose Extend and it should merge with the unallocated.

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:30 PM

You're running into that MBR issue because you have a 4 primary partition limitation. I am not sure why you have that 7GB partition there and what it's being used for. If you want to use the rest of the drive, you want to click on the 7GB partition and choose Extend and it should merge with the unallocated.

That 7 GB partition appears to be the Hibernation storage space. I don't think OP will be able to access the unallocated space without deleting the Recovery Partition first. I do not recommend that.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:46 PM

I agree and it's pointless with Windows 10. Once the system OS has been upgraded you can completely recover fresh from off a cd and it'll register fine with Microsoft's snapshot of the system hardware. It will also register if the keys are stored in the bios as well. Win 7 or Win 8 key will also register it. The OP should have a clone backup on a different external drive. If the drive dies then everything is lost. I would just make one big D: partition. Disk manager can handle all that merging no other software is needed. Just delete the partition volume and then make one and then merge them all.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:49 PM

This may be the reason for the 7GB hibernation partition though the link mentions 8GB.  

As technonymous posted the recovery partition redundant as you can always clean install Windows 10 again using the Media Creation Tool and the OP can also create a complete disk image using Macrium. 

So, delete the hibernation partition as I believe the 1TB is a platter drive, not SSD, delete the Recovery partition then expand the system partition.

#8 OracleofMN

OracleofMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:56 PM

Ok I'm not sure I caught all that but I think I am hearing that I should just start over, is that correct?

I do have the old Solid State Harddrive with all the original setup so I can always go back to that if I need to. 

So, should I just do a factory reset? Or use the "Media Creation Tool"? Not sure what the best way to go about this.

Thanks for all the advice thus far!

Oh and the 1TB drive is a Solid state. Not sure if that matters.

Edited by OracleofMN, 24 August 2016 - 07:57 PM.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:22 PM

You don't have to completely start over. Since you have 2 partitions outside c drive. You click on the 7GB and choose extend. When done you have one large partition. Then you click on that and delete the volume which will leave you a large unallocated space. Then you right-click on the lenovo parition and choose extend. Then you're done! You should have.... Reserved | C drive | D: drive.

Edited by technonymous, 24 August 2016 - 08:23 PM.

#10 OracleofMN

OracleofMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:29 PM

there is only one option if I right click on the 7gb partition..."help" (see below image). If I look at properties (using EaseUS) it's a partition type "Other" and it's full...7 gigs of 7 gigs. Is there a way to find out what this is? ...and then delete it?

Picture1.png

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:36 PM

That is the rapid start hibernation partition.

#12 OracleofMN

OracleofMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:39 PM

From a previous post it sounds like it's not a necessity. Maybe I can delete? Any thoughts on whether or not I should try this?

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:47 PM

No it's not needed unless you hibernate the system.

#14 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:52 PM

In that ease of use settings I believe you can disable it. Once that is done you should be able to delete it.

#15 OracleofMN

OracleofMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:10 PM

I feel like I'm making progress now. I deleted the Hibernation Partition. Then I added the new primary partition. So, do I need to get this added to the C: drive? I still can't move the partitions using EaseUS. I also can't extend the C: drive Drive manager. Do I even need to combine these drives? Can I just save files to the new D: drive once C: fills up? My guess is this would decrease performance but I am no expert.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users