Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microphone still not working!!!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 VlKlNGS

VlKlNGS

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:57 PM

Ok, now I've just about had it with this bleep life and all it's bullbleep, I am literally on the brink...

So the last, in a very long line of "this life sucks and nothing good can ever happen in it" things, is that me and a friend of mine decided we wanna play some online games and use VOIP(probably through skype).

So we fixed up his pc(his motherboard fried), we bought a new motherboard, some more ram,  went to a provider and got him internet(and these things took some doing as we are both piss poor), etc. but no matter what I did I couldn't get the freaking microphone to work!!!!....

So here's what we got:

- windows 7 x64(ultimate edition I think);

- windows fully updated(apart from a few updates that failed to install, most having to do with net framework 4.5, still working on those);

- new motherboard is a Asus M4A78-EM(realtek onboard sound cad)

- latest win 7 64 drivers for the motherboard(audio included) from the asus website;

- no problems in device manager, no exclamation point, no question mark, no yellow, nothing;

- tried every possible combination of settings from the realtek sound manager and from windows sound panel;

- tried 2 pairs of headphones with microphone, extremely low chance that both have broken mics(they both behave exactly the same);

- tried the mic jacks both in the front panel of the case and in the back straight into the sound card, nothing. (if I insert the headphone jacks those work, just not the mics);

- literally went through about a dozen google search pages, tried several search phrases, read dozens of forums/posts, etc.;

- in the bleep end spent more money(that we do not have!) and bought a new Logilink usb sound card model UA0053. Nothing, behaves exactly the same as the onboard one.

Results: No matter what I do there are only 2 main results(depending on how I mess with the sample rate, bit depth, noise suppression and volume settings): eighter no sound at all when you speak in the mic, or just an annoying/constant buzzing sound. Once I managed to get rid of the buzzing and reduce the sound to a couple of crackles and pops(maybe from his speaking into it?) but nothing that would even closely resemble a human voice.

I'm really hoping someone can help me get the damn mics to work?!?!(preferably on the onboard sound card so I can return the other one and get our money back)

So please, tell me what the hell else can I do?! Cause I am right there man, right on the bleep edge of the cliff, this life just needs to push me one more time....

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:18 AM

Perhaps some of the suggestions you got here may help?

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/microphone-still-not-working/

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:25 AM

Excerpt from BC Forum Rules:  "There will be no  use of profanity on our message boards.  This will not be tolerated and can lead to immediate suspension."

The members here are used to receiving requests for assistance...that, while indicating frustration, these requests abide with the forum rules.  Acting as if the world owes you something beyond teaching you how to express yourself in a more acceptable manner...will probably not make anyone rush to assist you, IMO.

Louis

#4 VlKlNGS

VlKlNGS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:44 AM

Doesn't matter anymore, I'm done with it, Tuesday we're taking the pc to a service shop and let them fix it if they can...

As for the language that was frustration, that's the whole point of curse words, to help you express feelings and emotions that regular words are not enough to express.

But hey hamluis, you're right on one thing, your forum your rules, so if I broke them feel free to ban me, I can accept that. That being said you have no idea what my situation is and what I've been/am going through so I don't think you should judge me. And if you think that right now I care about "expressing myself in a more acceptable manner" then you have another thing coming mate...

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:11 PM

Doesn't matter anymore, I'm done with it, Tuesday we're taking the pc to a service shop and let them fix it if they can...

As for the language that was frustration, that's the whole point of curse words, to help you express feelings and emotions that regular words are not enough to express.

But hey hamluis, you're right on one thing, your forum your rules, so if I broke them feel free to ban me, I can accept that. <snip>

You should have stopped there. The people on this forum offer their services for free, they don't have to help you.

- tried 2 pairs of headphones with microphone, extremely low chance that both have broken mics(they both behave exactly the same);

Are they the same brand and model of headphones, as in exactly the same?

The buzzing and crackling sound you describe could be the driver needing to be reinstalled. Or it could be something else. Let's start with the driver.

• Open Control Panel
  • Click Device Manager
  • Click on "Sound, video and game controllers"
  • Locate the Realtek sound devices, they should say "Realtek AC79 Audio" or "High Definition Audio Device"
  • Right click on the sound devices you found and click Uninstall
  • Proceed with the uninstall procedure
  • Restart your computer
  • Reinstall the Realtek sound drivers you got from the ASUS site, preferably the latest version
  • Restart if prompted

#6 VlKlNGS

VlKlNGS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:23 PM

Nope, the headphones are different brands and models. Your suggestion is something I've already tried, didn't work. I even tried a fresh windows install today with nothing but the audio and lan drivers installed(no other programs, or drivers, or updates, or anything). Still didn't work.

Thank you for trying to help mate, and feel free to drop any other ideas if you have them, but I really need a break. I'm gonna wait until Tuesday see if the service guys can fix it(they are doing us a freebie) and if they can't do it either.... I don't even know anymore.... we'll see...

P.S. I meant nothing more or less then exactly what I wrote. Of course nobody here has(or is in any way, shape or form obligated) to help, I didn't mean to imply that they do.

P.S.S. Now that I think about it I find it quite ironic that I'm being what's the word... harassed?(probably not the right word, but it's late and I'm tired...) about my language on a forum called BleepingComputer looool...

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:22 PM

It's starting to sound like you got a refurb'd mobo, or somebody's return that was defective. I would get it replaced by whoever sold it to you, or failing that, get it repaired by whoever sold it to and or is in charge of servicing the computer.

harassed?(probably not the right word, but it's late and I'm tired...) about my language on a forum called BleepingComputer looool...

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 August 2016 - 03:29 PM.
language edit

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:33 PM

Pointing out the rules to someone is not harassment.
hamluis did not make the rules. As a moderator he enforces them, as do I and the other moderators. Hence the language edit.

Would you like to move on or keep quibbling about the rules and the word "Bleeping" in the site name?

If you chose to quibble, this topic will be closed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 August 2016 - 03:34 PM.

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

Can you run DxDiag? Windows Key + R > DxDiag > "Save all information" button and save to desktop. Then open and copy/paste. 

Also, how do you have the case I/O (audio/usb/etc) connected to the motherboard? Are you using HDAudio or AC97 connector? Which ever you are using, do you have it set as the audio source in the BIOS?

Finally, check the ground for the computer and the connection from power supply to board. Sounds like something is backfeeding, messing up with any audio recordings. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users