Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Jobs?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 zerorelation

zerorelation

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:45 AM

What did everyone do for a first job?

I was a 'cart attendant' at a local golf course. We washed the carts and parked them at the end of the night. Slicking down the garage floor and skidding around at high (golf cart) speeds was entertaining. We added a few new carts to the maintence queue everyday thanks to things like that. Money was awful, people were snobs, but it was a great time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:05 AM

First paying job was working the rice, and soybean fields, for my uncle.
Did this on summer vacations from school.
I worked the fields until I turned 17.
Started when I was 8.

Edited by tg1911, 17 August 2006 - 11:09 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:00 PM

Still freakin looking..... i haven't been able to get a job in 2 summers, so hopefully i can grab one in my off-time after classes at NCSU.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:53 PM

First jobs were 2. Making ice cream and such in an ice cream parlor and delivering 122 newspapers.
The parlor and news were next to each other. I applied at both and got called to start by both on the same day. Did the papers in the am. The ice cream Tu,Thu,Fri & Sat varied hours.

Good question zerorelation
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:08 PM

Worked for my dad in an old style grocery store from age 9 until he sold it when I was about 20.
We made the news by closing on a Friday night as the old counter store and re-opening on Monday morning as full self-service. It was a busy weekend. This was in the late 1950's.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 shortyman

shortyman

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:16 PM

mowing lawns was my first paying job

#7 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:23 PM

Picking berries - ugh! Back breaking when it was strawberries, scratchy when it was raspberries - and always getting a vicious sunburn - and worse, for a 'token' pay.

(We had a small 'hobby' farm in the summer and my parents would generously donate my services to assist neighbours in their berry fields - understood their intentions but felt like slave-labour when I was doing it).

Second job, in my teens, much much much better! Worked in a Funeral Home during the summers and even got decent wages.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:39 PM

I am currently working my first job. It's in a landromat for alot of the small bed and breakfast places and a big hotel. Got some pretty heavy duty whashers (about 5 loads of what you normally put into your washer and there is a big one that put about 10 loads of normal size and sounds like a freaking jet engine when this bad boy starts up). Then you got the ironer wich is a big drum the irons sheets and stuff... one has a good safety system but the other one don't get your hand stuck in it because the stop button is 3 feet away... It's hot... add about 10-15 degrees celcious from the outside temperature... I work for one of my friends dad who is the owner... I get paid minimum wage wich is 7.75$CAD an hour... and man do we earn our paycheck...

Hoping for something better next summer or part-time during the school year...

Oh yeah and If forgot that almost all the machines (only two dryers don't) work on steam... so when the boiler shuts down you get your ass over in the boiler room with a screwdriver cause you will have alot of hotels pissed off... Happened once when I was there and all the dryers and ironers we're shut down for 2 hours cause it took an hour and a half to get the boiler started then another half an hour to get the heat back... The night shift wich normally finishes at midnight finished at 2 in the morning...

BTW nice topic this is going to be interesting

#9 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:41 PM

We should start a vote soon as to who had the worst and best first jobs of the lot, lol.

#10 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:07 PM

First job.............apprentice joiner with George Wimpey (We Imploy Many Paddy's Every Year ) , and i absolutely hated it. 4 years of pure hell . I was just a gofor to my journeymen.............go for this , go for that , get me a left handed screwdriver , go to the store and get 3 skyhooks etc etc. :thumbsup: I was only 16 at the start and very naive and 4 years later when my time was served the final embarrassment of being grabbed by a load of burly builders , nailed to the floor by my shirt cuffs and socks and getting my pants whipped off and my privates covered in glue followed by a sprinkling of sawdust. When i went home and my maw seen the state i was in she was not a happy bunny and wanted to go and sort them out. Fortunately i talked her out of it as it would have been an even bigger embarrassment,

Took me a few years to get way from the building trade and finally settled into a nice factory environment ( telecommunications ) where i've been ever since and where i hope to see my retirement.

#11 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:12 PM

Can't you get them arrested for something like that?

#12 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:33 PM

Afraid not. It was in the 70's and anything went in those days.

#13 magman68classic

magman68classic

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:46 PM

Soccer Referee and big money, now I'm in charge of refs.

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:41 PM

picked up bales of straw in august. oh, it was fun.

Posted Image

#15 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:52 PM

I did that one day before I went to work at the laundro mat... geese that is hard friggen work...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users