Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access 2nd hard drive

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 tzoromski135

tzoromski135

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:57 PM

Hi all,

I currently use Avast Internet Security and last week, I did a "boot time scan" for viruses.  I have 2 hard drives - Drive C which is my Main boot drive with Windows 10 on it and Drive D which I used to use as my main hard drive until I ran low on space.  Both drives have a version of Windows on them - C is Windows 10 and D is Windows 7.  I never figured out how to erase the Windows 7 off Drive D, so at boot up, it asks which drive I want to use.  Well, I haven't used drive D for a while and last week during the boot time scan, Avast had found files with "data errors" in them, but I didn't think much of it, until since then when I boot up my computer in the morning, I have a screen come up saying "Windows is fixing Drive D" and today I noticed that while Drive D is seen, it no longer shows the used space and free space data on the This PC screen. 

Turns out that when I try to access the drive, it now says I must reformat the drive in order to access it.  What the hell? Drive D has Windows on it and files that I need to get off of it before reformatting it and losing everything on it.  How can I get into the drive without having to reformat it - or am I screwed?  What happened to the drive that now windows cannot access it?

I appreciate any help given - the files on Drive D are really no huge deal - I forget whats on there, but I don't want to lose data I may need in the future - I just want to verify I don't need anything from it before formatting it if at all possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:38 PM

Turns out that when I try to access the drive, it now says I must reformat the drive in order to access it.

So, if I get this correctly, when you boot W10 (C drive) and enter File Explorer, and then click on the W7 (D drive) in Explore, instead of the tree structure appearing you get the "must reformat" message?

Edited by ranchhand_, 24 August 2016 - 01:40 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:03 PM

so at boot up, it asks which drive I want to use

And if I understand this correctly, you have - or had - a dual booting machine, Win 10 and Win 7. You mentioned 'accessing' Drive D:\, but I don't think  you said if you had tried booting into Win 7. If you can boot into Win 7, on D:\, you should be able to access the files there even if you can only boot in safe mode.

Failing that, I would consider using a self-booting Linux disc, something like Puppy, and seeing if you can recover your files that way. If you need information on how to get and use Puppy, see here -

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Chris Cosgrove

#4 corradettikean

corradettikean

• Banned Spammer
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:15 AM

First of all go ahead.

1. Write click on "My PC"

2. click on "manage"

3. select "Disck management"

Make sure you can see there your all partition. 

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

I have a screen come up saying "Windows is fixing Drive D" and today I noticed that while Drive D is seen, it no longer shows the used space and free space data on the This PC screen.

@ Corradettikean....under normal circumstances your suggestion is good; however, in this case the OP already states that he can see the drive, but cannot access it. We must determine if he has a corrupted partition, and if so, how to see what data is on it. At this point he cannot. So....we can't go any further until the OP posts back, which he hasn't done yet. Hopefully he will not abandon this thread.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:51 PM

Sorry about my delay in getting a response back to you all - I run a business and I've been very busy the last few days.

First - no, I don't have a dual booting computer - What is now my "D" drive was once my C drive until I ran low on space, so I bought a new drive and just installed the drive, made the new drive my "C" Drive and the old drive my "D" drive.

I think I neglected to set the "jumpers" on my "D" drive to Slave and my "C" Drive to "Master" because when I boot, I have a screen that asks me to select what version of Windows to use. C has Windows 10 and D is Windows 7.

Before the boot time scan with Avast, under "This PC", I had both drives listed with the details of each drive listed - i.e. 107 GB free out of 233GB.  Now D no longer shows how much free space I have on it and when I double click on D, to view my files, I get the following error: "D:\ is not available. The parameter is not correct."

Not sure if this means I have a bad drive - even though this morning I still got the "choose which version of Windows to use" screen and D is still identified by Windows, I just cannot tell how much space is used or open it to view my files.  I don't know if Avast did something to the drive or if some settings are messed up and need fixing in order to access the drive once again.  I hope I can access the drive without having to re-format it before checking to ensure I get files off of it.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management? If the drive is not listed as RAW or not initialized you should be able to access the drive with a linux distro like Fatdog64 or Parted Magic.

Modern drives have no slave or master jumpers. You were asked which OS to boot because you had boot loaders and active partitions on both drives.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:16 PM

Important question: is there data on D that you want to retrieve, or does it matter if you lose it?

#9 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management? If the drive is not listed as RAW or not initialized you should be able to access the drive with a linux distro like Fatdog64 or Parted Magic.

Modern drives have no slave or master jumpers. You were asked which OS to boot because you had boot loaders and active partitions on both drives.

I'm not sure what the hell windows 10 did to my Drive D: but on Disk Management, it's labeled the file system as "RAW".  I personally have not done ANYTHING to the drive - I didn't reformat it, I didn't want it reformatted - did Windows screw me over and reformat it without me telling it to do so?  I had files on there I needed to get off of it!

I am still seeing the dual boot screen when starting up my computer in the morning - is this telling me that Drive D is not reformatted and I can somehow get access to my files or am I screwed?  I haven't looked on Drive D for some time, but I'm assuming I have financial information from throughout the years on it, so if it's been reformatted, it's all gone.  I'm hoping that this is incorrect and a setting is off and my files are still there so I can get them!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:21 PM

Bad news on the RAW drive. It means either the files system was corrupted or you lost your partition table. Try the following first, Download and install Partition Wizard. Start the Partition Recovery Wizard. Do a Quick Scan of D: Does if find any partition(s)? If it does. highlight each and double click. Do you see your file/folder structure? If you do only check the box next to the partition that lists any files and are the ones you need to recover. Click Finish then apply.

Warning: Please make sure you have checked all partitions you need, for the unchecked one will be deleted after partition recovery.

If a quick scan does not find your partition or partitions then do not do a full scan. We can try a more powerful tool called TestDisk.

Edit: There have been reports that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update deleted partitions but this was concerning partitions on the same disk.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 August 2016 - 02:23 PM.

#11 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

Bad news on the RAW drive. It means either the files system was corrupted or you lost your partition table. Try the following first, Download and install Partition Wizard. Start the Partition Recovery Wizard. Do a Quick Scan of D: Does if find any partition(s)? If it does. highlight each and double click. Do you see your file/folder structure? If you do only check the box next to the partition that lists any files and are the ones you need to recover. Click Finish then apply.

Warning: Please make sure you have checked all partitions you need, for the unchecked one will be deleted after partition recovery.

If a quick scan does not find your partition or partitions then do not do a full scan. We can try a more powerful tool called TestDisk.

Edit: There have been reports that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update deleted partitions but this was concerning partitions on the same disk.

I installed the partition wizard and before I even did a scan, the main screen shows D as 63% free and the file system as NTFS - whereas Windows shows RAW - 100% Free.  Again, this is before I have even scanned D using Partition Wizard. Lists the status of D as 189 GB used and 109 GB free.

#12 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:10 PM

I double clicked on D: in the wizard and all my files are there - I can open them and view - but I cannot do it using Windows.  Do I have issues with Partitions or is this a setting in Windows thats messed up?

I haven't done any scans yet- just launched the application.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:11 PM

Go ahead and do the quick scan of Partition Recovery. Hopefully picks up your partition and you are able to explore your files. Do not click apply if you cannot explore your file/folder structure.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:12 PM

Partition Recovery found your partition table. Windows would not be able to see the drive until you click Finish then Apply to write a new partition table. Make absolutely sure you can explore all your file/folders before clicking Finish then Apply.

#15 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:29 PM

Partition Recovery found your partition table. Windows would not be able to see the drive until you click Finish then Apply to write a new partition table. Make absolutely sure you can explore all your file/folders before clicking Finish then Apply.

Umm, I don't think there's any problems with my D drive partitions - I went and launched partition recovery wizard and did a quick scan of D and the result of the quick scan showed the result as "existing".  I selected and clicked on finish which just closed the window.  On the main screen of the application, it lists both C & D drives as "active" yet Windows still does NOT see D as a drive with stuff on it - it sees it, but when I double click on D in my file explorer, Windows says "drive is inaccessible. Drive does not contain a recognized file system"  Whereas Partition Wizard lists the file system on both C & D as NTFS and their status as "active"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users